Sign in to follow this  

Riding in dusty conditions

When I ride alone or out front of the pack all is good. I can see the track and can select the best line through the ruts, rocks and roots. However when riding behind another rider I find it often difficult to see the terrain due to the dust being kicked up by the other rider. This leaves me two choices: Keep up and hope that a 10"X10"X10" rock doesn't suddenly jump under my front wheel, or drop back.

I usually tend to drop back, but I seem to be in the minority because the guys behind me seem to stay on my wheel.

What reccomendations can anyone make regarding riding in a pack (particularly in dusty conditions).

i have been riding behind my bros for 11years now. and if you trust the guy in front of you then just stay far enough behind that you can see what is going on but mainly follow the guy in front of you. but some trails it is just so dusty that you cant do that. in which case you can try and ride pretty close but not directly behind the person infront. so the dust misses you.(only works if your second in line usually). well i'm sure other people know more ideas but thats just my suggestion. hope it works

Your 2 choices are to ride right on the leaders rear wheel (and hope he doesn't take bad line) or fall back far enough so that you can read the trail.

I ride with family and friends and I always fall back a little because if you stay on there tail yes the dust is a little clearer and you can see but if your buddy slams on his brakes or takes a wrong line your screwed. I would fall back a little and the dust is clearer and or if there is room ride beside them that is only if the trail is wide enough so that way if someone comes up going the other way they have plenty of room to go by.

Lets hope that you trust the guy that you are following. You may not be able to see, but then again, the person leading has to give signals as to what is going on. If he turns, you turn, if he stops you stop, if there is a hazzard then the lead rider should have a general idea if you can make it around or over it. If he doesn't think you can do it, then he should stop.

Get the signals worked out. There is quite a bit of trust in following because you usually can't see anything.

If this doesn't work, then you have to fall back enough to let the the dust settle some.

ONly follow people you trust and people you know won't forget you are behind them.

yes that is some fine exzamples but how can you judge ppl you dont know wen your on a trail ride with 500 plus riders theres obviously a way because i had about 50 fast riders overtake me on my wr250 06 model most were on two strokes

Are you talkin about racing or just riding with buddies?

If you're racing then pass or fall back. If you're in the dust of the guy in front of you, then screw it on and pass him.

If you're riding with buddies it gets a little tricky. What we try to do is establish a pecking order, so to speak, fastest guy first, next fastest second, etc, etc. Give about 10 seconds between riders, from a stop, and if the order is right you'll fall back from the guy in front of you and never eat any dust and as long as everyone waits for the guy behind em at a turn it works great. If you are eating dust then you have to tell your buddie that he's slow and you're going in front of him(the tricky part).

One of the best parts of trail riding is riding your friends ass till they mess up and then laughing as you roost em, but it just isn't worth it in the dust.

yes that is some fine exzamples but how can you judge ppl you dont know wen your on a trail ride with 500 plus riders theres obviously a way because i had about 50 fast riders overtake me on my wr250 06 model most were on two strokes

That is tricky... don't ride on trails with 500 plus riders. When you get there and see that many people, either go further out away from the action, or pack up and go home.

it was an organized ride like racing in motorcross except with a 20 km enduro loop. was 20 bucks for a whole day

Are you talkin about racing or just riding with buddies?

If you're riding with buddies it gets a little tricky. What we try to do is establish a pecking order, so to speak, fastest guy first, next fastest second, etc, etc. Give about 10 seconds between riders, from a stop, and if the order is right you'll fall back from the guy in front of you and never eat any dust and as long as everyone waits for the guy behind em at a turn it works great. If you are eating dust then you have to tell your buddie that he's slow and you're going in front of him(the tricky part).

One of the best parts of trail riding is riding your friends ass till they mess up and then laughing as you roost em, but it just isn't worth it in the dust.

LOL this is so true.

What my buddies and I normally do (every one is so darned polite sometimes it is sickening) is kinda take it in turns to lead. This way we all know who the slow rider is but they they take no shame in that. ......I mentioned that my buddies seem to stay on my wheel - now you know why <grin>.

I like to ride at the back because if I'm quick at least the guy in front of me knows it and if I'm slow that's no one's problem but mine. I have been quick at the front many times but no one ever knows how long you have been waiting at the next intersection so there's no glory (well not much anyhows).

I do trust my mates to take a good line though and I'll use that advice; just a bit worried of the carnage if the guy I'm tailgating slows up quick on the brakes or falls....

Meatbomb........

My buddy and Myself :ride: just about every weekend.If it's just us were on each others tails ''Trust''.If we take 4-5 or more people out where we go, we will splitt into 2 groups.We will decide where we are going before we go,if the 1st pack makes a turn they have to make it obvious ''skidmarks'' are a good way to do this.Knowing the area you are riding in is very important or riding w/ some one that does, you / they will know alot of the hazards in the area it makes it easier in dusty conditions :thumbsup:

When I ride with my friends, Every so often when we stop for a drink or to talk about something, we switch leads, so The same person isn't always in lead, kinda hard to do whee the others dint know the area as well as you do.

When I race in dusty conditions I try to read the sides of the trail best as possible. There are many things that can get you off your bike and you have to be as aware as possible. Earlier this year in Oklahoma I raced a dusty race and was behind Shane Watts and didn't see a limb hanging down and got peeled off my bike. I think that being aware of everything around you is the best way to try and avoid a rock or other things taking you down. Try not to get too concentrated on looking around but use your peripheral vision to catch things and its always at the last second in dust.

crob

i ride with my dad, brothers and friends every other weekend and we ussually go through fire roads so dust is everywhere and the guy at the back has to take up all the dust!hahaha

what i do when im the 2nd rider i stay behind the front rider but not totally behind him. maybe a bit to the left or right if there is still room. in this way i dont end up eating all his dust! but when im the last rider i slow down a bit and let the dust up front settle down a bit so in this case im not blinded by the dust cloud they leave behind.

Those guys that passed you...they were like some friends of mine who have raced GNCC all their lives...they had their eyes closed and the throttle open!!!

Don't take it personally...they're also the same guys who can get through an 18 inch opening between two trees by standing the front end up and wicking the bars side to side between the trees...all while being pinned fourth gear.....when they're riding, I don't have to worry about dust because I can't help but stop and watch in amazement!