Sign in to follow this  

changing fork oil

how complicated is it to change the fork oil in my 06'te450 forks?

the bike sat for a while causing a leak in the seal,i stopped

the leak using the ol'film negative technique but lost quite a bit of fluid.

i dont have a workshop manuel so i dont know the steps involved.

thanks for any feedback.

Not complicated.

Remove front wheel (mark axle pinch bolts with sharpie, draw a line across hex head down onto axle mount aluminum, so you can just tighten them back to the same torque without over doing it and stripping one, same on axle nut)

loosen pinch bolts on triple trees (mark these too, I believe torque is 16ft/lbs), loosen top bolt first, then loosen, but don't remove, fork cap while bottom bolts are still tight

remove fork from bike

remove top fork cap, spring will be attached...expose top part of spring

loosen nut keeping cap

remove cap and spring from fork

drain all old oil out, pumping fork repeatedly, if really dirty use some new fluid to 'wash' out fork

collapse fork without spring, push rod all the way down, fill fork with fluid up to the point you want, measure from the top edge of the tube down to the level you want, e.g., 120mm is where I like the level on mine. Most like 5w full synthetic oil. Later if you need/want more oil for better bottoming resistance, add it through the bleeder screw hole in 5cc increments.

Did I miss anything guys?

Good instructions lairpost. I would change the fork seals if I was going to the trouble of removing the forks.

Timely post, thankyou. I blew a fork seal last weekend and plan on doing it myself. I'm getting the seals, oil and seal savers this week. Any tricks to doing seals? (I've never done them) Any advice is apprecaited.

Also, I'm getting seal savers. Good idea? bad idea?

I have a set of Tusk savers from Rockymountain on my TC. Believe they're like $10. Work well for moi.

Timely post, thankyou. I blew a fork seal last weekend and plan on doing it myself. I'm getting the seals, oil and seal savers this week. Any tricks to doing seals? (I've never done them) Any advice is apprecaited.

Me too. I've done seals on a few other bikes, but never an "inverted" fork...

Anyone using #10 fork oil?

I've never done seals, but do use the Sealsaver-type neoprene...I like 'em, just be sure to roll them back from time to time and clean/check it out.

FWIW, I heard from more than one that getting/making/using a seal tool makes the job much easier with far less chance of damaging the new seal.

I believe most are going lighter on fluid, #5, not heavier to #10 trying to alleviate the mid-valve lock...

Every time I have had a seal leak it's just dirt. My Husky was leaking bad the second time I rode it. It took about 5 minutes to cut a cleaning tool out of a gatoraide bottle, drop the dust seal, and clean out the dirt. Been good ever since.

Most people suggust 110 to 120 mm oil. I think the manual says something like 80.

FWIW, I heard from more than one that getting/making/using a seal tool makes the job much easier with far less chance of damaging the new seal.

The right size pvc pipe works too if you don't want to spend the money on the real seal drivers.

I believe most are going lighter on fluid, #5, not heavier to #10 trying to alleviate the mid-valve lock...

Yea seems like inverted forks usually use the lower weights 5-7.5.

I still have never gotten a good set of seal drivers and use a piece of PVC pipe cut in half. When installing the new seal and sliding it over the fork tube be sure to take a piece of a plastic bag that covers the sharp edges on the fork. Usually the bag that the seal comes in works. Put a little of the fork oil on the bag as well to slide the seal over the sharp edges of the fork. Take it apart and lay everything in the same order as it came out also remembering that metal washer that is in some forks. It has a flat side to it if I remember right. When doing a really dirty oil change in the forks and in a hurry I used to use K-1 Kerosene to flush out the forks to get the valves cleaned up. Just pour some in and crank the center rod some and drain it out doing it a couple of times or until the kero comes out clean. You would be suprised at the dirt that is in there. I would let the forks sit upside down for a while to make sure it is completely drained.

Take a look at this thread on DBW Australia. The seal change technique is for a Yamaha, however the Husqvarna is almost identical.

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16751&highlight=fork+seals

Then go to the Mazzochi site and download the Mazocchi manual to suit your forks.

http://www.marzocchi.it/template/listSPAManuals.asp?IDFolder=180&LN=UK&Sito=moto

I have changed out the seals on my '05 TE250 using the above info and changed to 5wt Motorex fork oil.....Take your time and follow the steps exactly and you will not have any problems. It was certainly worth the effort..It was like riding a different bike.