Sign in to follow this  

I have a problem and i Need Help

Well the other day I replied on a thread about leaking oil. Well i found the problem, the decompression plug blew out of the cylinder head. Here is the problem, i didnt not find that it had blown out until the bike cut off. The motor is not locked up but the piston was very hard to move up and down with the kickstarter. We got it freed up a lot by poring oil in the cylinder. It is now freed up as it was before, but the bike wouldnt start. I have a feeling that it is just from the oil and gas that was pored into the cylinder but i just want to know if there are other problems that i should look out for. Obviously since the plug came out the intake cam wasnt getting enough oil, but are there any other problems that could have happened?

Thank you

The plug coming out will have no immediate effect on the oil delivery to the cams. It just allows oil to leave the engine and dirt to enter, both very bad things. Since you had a problem with the piston sticking in the cylinder, I would recommend that you pull the head and have a look to make sure that you didn't cause any major damage. You could have stuck a ring, scored the cylinder badly, galled a cam bearing, or any number of other bad things that if left alone could cause some very costly repairs in the near future. It will cost you a head and base gasket, but it will be much better than the alternative and you will have peace of mind knowing that it is OK. How long did you run it without the plug in there? Did you run it out of oil? Anyway, let us know what you find. Hope this helps.

Josh

The plug coming out will have no immediate effect on the oil delivery to the cams. It just allows oil to leave the engine and dirt to enter, both very bad things. Since you had a problem with the piston sticking in the cylinder, I would recommend that you pull the head and have a look to make sure that you didn't cause any major damage. You could have stuck a ring, scored the cylinder badly, galled a cam bearing, or any number of other bad things that if left alone could cause some very costly repairs in the near future. It will cost you a head and base gasket, but it will be much better than the alternative and you will have peace of mind knowing that it is OK. How long did you run it without the plug in there? Did you run it out of oil? Anyway, let us know what you find. Hope this helps.

Josh

All of the above, also maybe try a compression check. My thought, do the partial rebuild to be safe, and order the plug replacement kit off of the TT store.

Well i didnt run it out of oil, the wierd thing is is that no loss of oil is shown on the dipstick in the frame. Thats what puzzles me so much because i obviously lost an amount of oil. i ran it for prob. 10 minutes without the plug im guessing. We took the cover off and the back cam is getting a plenty of oil, but the front cam doesnt. I would think that the front isnt getting oil because it automatically runs out of the plug hole. Thanks

Matt

The oil does slosh around on top to some degree, but this is not the source for lubricating the cam bearings. This will lube the lobes and buckets but the bearings are lubricated through the cam cap journals. This plug coming out will not cause oil starvation in such a short ammount of time I wouldn't think. It sounds like you may have two different problems. I don't exactly know how to do it, but you need to check to see if you are getting oil to the exhaust cam (it is in front intake is in the rear). Maybe Grayracer will help us out on this one, he is much more knowledgeable about this type of thing than I will ever be I am afraid. You said that you were able to free up the piston by pooring oil down the plug hole. This would have nothing to do with the front cam, as the two are completely separated by the cylinder and the piston. There is no way that pooring oil down the plug hole would have lubricated the cams. What makes you think that the cams have been oil starved? It sounds more like you may have injested some sand or something to me. Hope this helps,

Josh

i once lost my decompression plug on my bike and i drove for e15 minutes home without it because i was on the road and nothing happend because you lost it, im not sure but i think ssomting blow and blow the plug out or some thing broke,take it aport and tell me when your done

So what all should i look out for when i take it out. Geez im really kind of worried now, i didnt expect all of this to happen.

Thanks

Just remember that smooth surfaces are good. The metal surfaces should be silver not black or blue. Expect the top of the piston to be built up with carbon as well as the bottom side of the head (with the valves in it). Check that the cylinder walls are smooth all the way through the stroke. If you are in doubt, take some pics and post them here. This would be a good time to go ahead and install a new timing chain as well. Hope this helps.

Josh

Very hard to say without actually looking at it myself. You will just have to tear into it and see what it looks like. However, I can tell you that it is not normal for the engine to get very hard to kick over and then just all of a sudden go back to normal. I have heard that from time to time the automatic decompression pin can get stuck inside the cam causing you to have to kick through the compression stroke which would seem like the piston was sticking if you didn't know any better. If this was happening, the stroke would get hard, and when you finally got it through the compression stroke it would kick on through only to get hard again on the next compression stroke. Could this have been what happened to yours?

Josh

check you vales , do i hole motor revolution with the head cover of,look for rocks or scraches, drain the oil and check you oil filtercheck for shving or rockes,if there is alot of shaving thats bad a litle is ok,

check you vales , do i hole motor revolution with the head cover of,look for rocks or scraches, drain the oil and check you oil filtercheck for shving or rockes,if there is alot of shaving thats bad a litle is ok,

Man, they provide a spell check right below the new message window when you reply. Try using it. That is almost hard to read!!

check the lower connecting rod bearing my bike had the same symptoms it was real hard to kick over and then it would free up it cost me 550 to replace the crank and bearings wasnt a hard job with a manual. good luck.