Sign in to follow this  

Rage headlight wiring question:

Daddysmut passed on some valuable info from his install of the light but I have some other questions:

1. The rage is a 4 light unit, each light has two wires on it - can I use either of the two for the ground wire (the wires are the same looking)?

2. Why is a diode needed again? What does it allow to happen - can't two of the bulbs be hooked to the hi-beam wire and two to the lo-beam one and work that way?

Thanks

Daddysmut passed on some valuable info from his install of the light but I have some other questions:

1. The rage is a 4 light unit, each light has two wires on it - can I use either of the two for the ground wire (the wires are the same looking)?

2. Why is a diode needed again? What does it allow to happen - can't two of the bulbs be hooked to the hi-beam wire and two to the lo-beam one and work that way?

Thanks

1. Yes

2. you don't need a diode for that. A diode is so you can have them all on or just 2.

My handle bar switch has an off ( no lights on at all), on with high/low, and park.

I have it wired so that low will be the smaller lights, high will give me the inner larger lights and park mode all four will be on. No diode needed for this.

Ken

I remember now!! The idea was to have all 4 lights on when in hi-beam mode. THAT'S what the diode was for. You don't think its too much of a wattage draw to have all 4 on in hi-beam? ~80 watts I think it will be when I upgrade two of the bulbs.

I'm also trying to figure out what two would be best for lo-beam, the inner or outer two. The inner two are brighter aren't they so maybe use them?

I do forget what two bulbs need the diode (if I want to have all 4 on when using hi-beam)- the lo-beam ones or the other two that come on as well when hi-beam is on?

Oh, how come you would want all 4 lights on when in park position? Your bike would be shut off when running like that right - a big draw on the battery?

You don't think its too much of a wattage draw to have all 4 on in hi-beam? ~80 watts I think it will be when I upgrade two of the bulbs.

No

The inner two are brighter aren't they so maybe use them?

They are all 20w each. personal decision here

I do forget what two bulbs need the diode (if I want to have all 4 on when using hi-beam)- the lo-beam ones or the other two that come on as well when hi-beam is on?

Diode on low beam

Oh, how come you would want all 4 lights on when in park position? Your bike would be shut off when running like that right - a big draw on the battery?

The park position is just another selection on the switch. it can be wired to be whatever I want. other lights, power outlet, etc. And can be on with the bike running.

Ken