Sign in to follow this  

High Sierra Ride this weekend

How does a nice 2 day ride above 7,000 ft. sound? I'm tossing around going up Fri. nite and camping 2 nights. Hit the trails around 10 a.m. on Sat. for those who might want to come up for a day trip. Spend the night Sat. and hit some new trails on Sunday. Maybe we can take some pics of possible resourse concerns on the trails, so bring your cameras. For those that want to camp, it's mostly tent camping. There's only one spot for a mid/large size trailer and one other spot for a small trailer. Keep in mind there's NO hookups. No running water/power etc. I'm not even sure if I can sweettalk the new owners for the passcode to the showers, so it might have to be a bar of soap and the lake. (done that before)

They'll be a couple of switchbacks in OD's favor, and the obligatory cliff for Slyko to drop check his bike again. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

:applause: Count me in. I'll just make it day trips, since it's not very far from home, but I can probably make both days. :thumbsup:

:ride: I'll probably bring the thumper, gotta blow the cobwebs off of it since it's been about a month since I've ridden it. What kind of riding are you planning on? More or less like the Strawberry ride (mix of singletrack and jeep trails)? What kind of daily mileage? I've got my small tank on the 351 right now, but it's still good for about 75 - 80 miles. :applause:

ARRRGHHHH! This is the last w/e before the ankle biters (and wife) go back to school so they want a last HOOO-RAH camping trip. We're tossing up a FH trip this sat & sun. Although the $600 PGE bill :applause::applause: that showed up this month sure put a damper on plans!!!! Those [PGE] :thumbsup::ride::applause: SOB's are :applause: thieves!!!!!

I do want to do the PR ride through that area soon though!

Have fun guys....BTW, could a 24' Class C RV fit up there?????

It'll be a mixture of single track and 4WD trails like strawberry. Probably around 50 miles max. On Sat. we'll stage at the south end of Silver Lake on Hwy. 88 (Plasse's Resort) Sun. is still up in the air. Slyko, I'll PM you directions and we'll nail down where to ride on Sun. once more TT'ers chime in. I also have about 8 other guys that don't belong to TT coming up to ride Sat. It's shaping up to be a big ride.

I see Cliffy is in for Sunday, might want to keep away from anything with a significant elevation change, he'd probably have to rejet his bike on the trail, and of course we might have to help him pack it out of a canyon or something, if you know what I mean. :ride:

Don't bring the Thumper. It'll just break again. :thumbsup:

You heard it here first! :applause:

Well if that bike ever does break on the trail maybe you could keep up. :applause:

Have fun guys....BTW, could a 24' Class C RV fit up there?????

Yes, a 24' RV could fit in that one spot. You have to come, those of us camping were counting on your trailer to take a shower in! :thumbsup::ride::applause::applause:

I should be taking another trip up the 26th of August as well. Remember to keep an eye on the El Dorado website for their sponsored field trips.

BTW, how in the hell did you get a $600 PG&E bill??? Are you keeping your house at -3F like Shady?

:thumbsup: It's shaping up to be one of those weekends! I'll be donning my flak jacket. Now if we could just get some more characters to join in. It'll be epic!

We need a funny name for this ride!

:thumbsup: It's shaping up to be one of those weekends! I'll be donning my flak jacket. Now if we could just get some more characters to join in. It'll be epic!

We need a funny name for this ride!

Yes it is. I believe the name comes out of the shenanigans that occur over the weekend.

I'm outta here tonight. Been up way too long. :ride:

Sounds like a great ride! I need more lead time like a two or three weeks and I could get the time off and maybe some more friends to go on this ride.

i might be in on sunday. AS is i have to be in reno sat night for a b-day party. I am already planning on bringing my bike so i can jump the cliffs next to the hwy right past boomtown in mogul

DIRECTIONS: Those of you coming from Sac. area, take Hwy. 50 to the Sly Park/Jenkinson Lake turnoff. Take Morman Emigrant Trail all the way across to Hwy. 88, turn left (east) and go another 5-6 miles to SIlver Lake. Take the right to Plasse's Resort and drive on down a narrow paved road about 1 1/2 miles. You'll pass some cabins and the road will open up into a meadow with a 2 story building on the far end of the meadow with adjacent buildings (plasse's resort.) Right there is a "Y" in the road and take the left; go around the corner, in front of the church and drive on this road approx. 1/2 mile. You'll see some trucks with bikes camping, (that's us). We'll be leaving at 10:00 a.m. prompt and riding out of there.

On SUnday, it looks like a Silver Fork ride out of Silver Fork campground and Fitz Ranch bridge. Take Morman Emigrant Trail and approx. 7 miles before you get to Hwy. 88 you'll see a road diving off down the canyon with a sign that states "Silver Fork campground." You can also get to the campground by going up to Kyburz on Hwy. 50 and driving in that way (probably better for day trippers.) Directly next to the bridge is a parking area with a FS trail designation #10???. That's where we'll park and ride out of to check the trails out and around Caples Creek that the FS says have resource concerns. Keep in mind, the first mile of this trail is rocky and tough, have a good skidplate. Any questions feel free to post and respond if you're coming. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: I got wood! :ride:

You are making me nervous. :applause:

I'll be there Saturday and possibly Sunday. Day trips for me.