Sign in to follow this  

WR or YZ

I am steppin up to the 250F world from a Honda XR200R. I ride some at night, but i am perfectly capable of using other peoples headlights that im with. I love going fast and I want something that can take jumps and ruts and things, but i also want that trail ability. Is the WR or the YZ right for me?

I am steppin up to the 250F world from a Honda XR200R. I ride some at night, but i am perfectly capable of using other peoples headlights that im with. I love going fast and I want something that can take jumps and ruts and things, but i also want that trail ability. Is the WR or the YZ right for me?

Both, it just depends on what you will do the most of. The wr will do all of the above,but the suspension will lack a little unless you are a light wieght. Not talking abought your skill level! The wr is really brought to life by the free mods. that can be found on this site. I weigh 220 without riding gear and it will haul my big but through the woods as fast as I care to go. Just think it through and you will be happy with either one!

my YZ250F is right at home off road, except at night, and WR are very close to right at home on tracks. so just pick, its super easy to have your WR looking like a YZ, so when you want headlights hook 'em up!

i weigh 180, but im no ricky carmichael or nothing like that. considering the YZF is a more powerful bike than the WR and its neraly 300$ less. i dont know though. im more of an offroad guy, but i do occaisional track riding on small tracks.

i weigh 180, but im no ricky carmichael or nothing like that. considering the YZF is a more powerful bike than the WR and its neraly 300$ less. i dont know though. im more of an offroad guy, but i do occaisional track riding on small tracks.

HAHA, my bad im dumb

:thumbsup:

go with the wr it sounds lke you do mosly trail riding any way and thats what the wr was built for. you can do all the free mods to bring the engin up to the yz performance and you will appericate the softer suspention on trails. its also gered better for off road. as far as taking the wr on the track it dose fine its a little bit more to handle in the air and the suspension can be a bit to soft for big jumps but other than than it works out great i would definitaly sugest getting the wr

you can do all the free mods to bring the engin up to the yz performance
It takes a bit more than just the free mods.......

Go the YZ over the WR every time unless you plan on plating it.

You can get one of those helmet light kits! Those are cool!

Go the YZ over the WR every time unless you plan on plating it.

You can get one of those helmet light kits! Those are cool!

yes but from experience helmet lights can break in a good wreck.

if you are going to do night riding alot go with the WR. there a blast, but the YZ is a little quicker and lighter. you wont tire yourself out as much picking that up if you drop it. GOOD LUCK!! :thumbsup:

o yea what part of KY do you live?? any where near louiville?? i need some people to ride with!!

I live Eastern KY. In Pike Co. Im not an idiot hill billy though. so no one think that stereotype.

also. i was wanting something that i wont get bored with as fast as i did the old XR. it was my first bike, im for sure capable of riding a 250F. The YZ is looking good as is the WR. Like how big of a difference are we talking between the two stock engines?

The engine is identical, except the WR has a slightly detuned exhaust cam. By replacing the WR's exhaust cam with a YZF exhaust cam (~$120), you can make their engines exactly the same.

Other differences include the WR having a wider ratio transmission, and a flywheel weight to reduce its tendency to stall in the tight twisties. The transmission means that the YZF can accelerate faster, but the WR has more top speed (~20mph).

With the exhaust cam and the free mods (www.thumperfaq.com), the WR runs very fast. If you're riding woods, go for the WR. If you're riding the track, go for the YZF.

I have the WR and I ride trails and an occasional H/S or D/S, but I would get the YZ if I had to do it over. It doesn't take much to bring a WR up to YZ, power wise, but the weight is the biggest issue, IMO. I consider myself a high C / low B rider, and I'm just now beginning to feel the need for a lighter machine. It's easy enough to put a D/S kit on a YZ if you want to make it street legal (assuming your state will allow; I can't even plate my WR in NY :ride: ), and you can valve your suspension the way you like. The only thing I would miss is the E start. I'm not sure I would miss the WR tranny. :thumbsup:

I guess it depends just as much on how you ride as where you ride.

also. i was wanting something that i wont get bored with as fast as i did the old XR. it was my first bike, im for sure capable of riding a 250F. The YZ is looking good as is the WR. Like how big of a difference are we talking between the two stock engines?

Stock, the bikes are chalk and cheese. They don't even compare.

The biggest difference af all is the weight difference, followed closely by power and suspension. A WR250F is way heavier than even a YZ450F. The WR250F's power is down about 5 - 6hp on the YZ250F. Combine that with the weight difference, you start to get the picture.

The YZ is like the ultimate form of the WR, but the WR does have it's place. It is just getting more and more trail bike, and less hardcore enduro bike. I put this down to everyone wanting a green sticker.

it looks like your doing the same thing i did. i posted the same thing. i was moving up form a xr200 also, i chose an 02 wr 250f i love it, awsome trail bike and i race mine on and i hit all the big jumps, it is great but it has br1 susp. so i dont know what stock susp. is like so i dont know what to tell u but u will be happy with either

thanks for the help....so you guys are saying with a YZ exhaust cam, if i ever had to go through the trouble of a rebuild, would make a WR like a YZ in the low end pull, but it will have that 20 MPH more in the top end? im saying ill go YZ cause i want power i can FEEL not speed speed speed....plus that 300 dollar price difference is kinda scary....especially with the way that dealers like to try to rip people off. (here in pikeville).

oh and by the way.....there is a difference in the exhausts of the two as well arent they?