Why is CHAD REED going Privateer?

http://www.adbmag.com/news_show.php?id=1124

Chad Reed's new MX team for 2007-2008

07 August 2006

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA is proud to announce its support for the newly formed L&M Racing team, poised to contest the 2007-2008 Supercross series. Supercross Champion, and current Yamaha Factory racer, Chad Reed and former West Coast “Lites” Champion Nathan Ramsey will race under the L&M tent aboard Yamaha YZ450Fs this coming season.

Team Manager, Larry Brooks has the experience, credentials and top racing talent enabling L&M Racing to be competitive right out of the gate. A former factory racer and Team Manager for the Chaparral Yamaha team, Brooks was a key component in Jeremy McGrath’s three-year Supercross championship reign; the first, and to this day, the only outside team to ever win an AMA Supercross

Championship.

“We have the utmost confidence in Larry Brooks, Reed and Ramsey and feel this team will further promote the Yamaha brand,” explains Yamaha Racing Division Manager, Keith McCarty. “It’s another step in the right direction for motocross and we are confident L&M Racing will attract additional outside sponsors that, in turn, will create more interest and visibility for our sport.”

The L&M Racing Team will concentrate on the AMA and World Supercross Championships and additional stadium races during the 2007 and 2008 series. Team L&M Racing will provide a more detailed racing scheduled and team sponsors soon.

Seems to me like Factory riders would make more money????????????? ?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't really consider L&M yamaha a privateer team. They are the ones who run Stefan Evert's team in Europe, and he had an aluminum framed Yamaha Years before anyone else. Also, they aren't known as factory Kawi, but pro curcuit Kawasaki is Kawasaki's factory effort in the 125 class.

L&M is brand new

Reed and Larry Brooks and N8 Dawg are starting it

so I read

So that is PRIVATEER

Its a privateer team supported by Factory Yamaha? Doesnt sound too low budget to me.

i know its not low budget BUT its not the same as being "FACTORY YAHAHA" either

Nick Wey is called a privateer but he hardly is one at all

Just saying that Chad is not getting fired by Yamaha so why drop out of a good thing????????????

He has to make megggggaaa $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Alot more than with L&M racing Sounds like a bookstore to me

OR cigarettes

L&M Racing is a factory team, as is Makita Suzuki. Makita just happens to sponsor along with Suzuki. Even though its not "Factory Suzuki", its still a factory team.

Did you friggin read the article? ?

IT IS NOT a factory team

ITS says Yamaha is proud to anouce its support of L&M...............

sure they will get tons of factory help...............

BUT it says what they are.

I am probably way off the mark but it almost sounds like Yamaha is looking for another way to develope new bikes. Two heads are supposed to be better than one. Mabey thats the direction they are thinking sending Reed to that team? They also might have big future plans for Reed. I still say the only reason Suzuki hired 37 year old Doug Gust instead of a younger ridder first is that he has been around the longest and would be just as effective in the development of future race quads as opposed to trying to race them at 40 years old. You can't race forever and Reed is a great rider.

It's a frigging satellite team basically. It's like what Sobe/Samsung is to Factory Honda.

I think it's cool to see him doing this, maybe he'll be less pressured and actually ride better. It's kinda like TP, he could've been factory, but stayed with his own team because he could make his own choices in what he wanted to use.

Did you friggin read the article? ?

IT IS NOT a factory team

ITS says Yamaha is proud to anouce its support of L&M...............

sure they will get tons of factory help...............

BUT it says what they are.

Regardless of what the article said, if Yamaha is supporting them they are gaining something from it.

If you get Factory Parts, do testing with Factory Mechanics, ride Factory Yamaha practice tracks, and still get paid a good amount of $$$ why not?

Another thing, with a Satalite team, you don't have to go under the blanket of sponsorships that the "Factory" has. You can pursue your own sponsership deals and still get all the Works stuff.

..attract additional outside sponsors...

Looking back at MC's reasons for leaving were partly because of Honda's clauses in his contract. No play riding, no Kawi Jetskis, no this, no that, yada yada. By starting his own team he was free of all that and had more freedom. YET, before he started the team he made sure he would have full factory support. (and yes, I am aware that '97 did happen, but I choose to forget that year).