Sign in to follow this  

Helmet Cam Question..

I am having a problem with picture quality using a helmet cam. The picture seems to have a haze over it about half the time.. other times it is fine. I am using a good quality Sony camcorder and a Sony bullet camera. The camera is mounted just under my visor. I see most helmet cams mounted above the visor however we thought it would be much safer under it. (well protected from trees) Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing the haze? It comes and goes during the same day. Thanks for any suggestions.

at first i though dust but that probably isn't it. Maybe glare? watch the video and look and see if their is any pattern like when you are ridding into the sun, or maybe in dark tree'ed areas where there isn't enough light?

The haze stays in sunlight or clouds. Then later it might go away it might not. Some days there was no haze. It just does not make sense to me.

Does the haze go away when you have a fresh charge on your batteries? Do you charge them every time after you use them? Or, try watching the video screen as you plug in the camera, is the connection solid? All connections clean and making good contact? Check of condensation under the lens when you see the haze. Some of these camera's build up heat and produce moisture over the lens. Some idea's, let us know what you find if any of these idea's work.

The picture seems clear when I start, it is after riding a little it gets a haze. I thought maybe it had to do with having it under my visor... some sort of glare. However what you said makes more sense, possibly a moisture build up under the lens. Thanks for the ideas.

This might be a silly statement, but might it be fog or your breath? You said that it is good to start but then gets hazy. I mount mine on top and haven't had a problem yet.( cross my fingers) Maybe just try it somewhere else and see if it gets any better. :thumbsup:

I have a helmet camera and mine does this occasionally.....it's moisture behind the lens. I haven't found a cure for it other then trying to keep it dry and letting it "air" out from time to time. Check and make sure there are no leaks around the lens is all I can suggest.

Check out the pics on my site of my helmet cam setup 40+ hare scrambles and no problems yet. I just remember it is there and duck a little extra when I need to. I have wiped out bigtime and slammed my head on the ground, but not on the top of my melon yet.

www.putfile.com/walnish

I bet it is condensation from the heat. Plus being under the visor, your sweating and breathing may be fogging it up.

So don't sweat or breathe and you'll be O.K. :applause::ride::thumbsup: