Sign in to follow this  

a lighter CRF 250 X

My wife has a 2004 CRF 250 X. We love the bike's smooth power and ease of ride. However, it's a bit too heavy for her. Has anyone found a cost-effective way to shed some pounds from it?

Thanks

not really such a thing. bet way is doign things that make it the opposite of an X.

best bet is a lighter exhaust, since the stocker is a pig. but after that, your gonna need to

-remove lights

-remove button sarter

trust me, a full mx'r would be way harder for most women to control.

I would look into lowering the suspension an inch or two. Fairly cheap and reversible.

Also, unless you need them, stripping the light's, odo, and coolant overflow will save lot's of high up weight.

Go to E-bay and find a used cr250r exhaust.

no, i woudnt go with a full MX bike. there are ALOT more differences than you think betweem the X and R models. thats why one has X and one has R. there different animals.

you could lighten it up, but really, its a super light bike for its class. if she has that big a problem with it, she needs a smaller class bike.

make a healthy descision, and you can both start working out. make it easier for her to pick up her X, and is great for increasing rider ability/stamina, and yor health.

just a thought.

kdx200 or maybe a ktm 200?????????????????? but as far as weight yeah lights, overflow catch.... and exaust.. should be noticable and suspension lowering will make it feel lighter because of the lower center of gravity

Then I guess the best way is to sell the CRF X and buy a full motocross... :thumbsup:

You're going in the wrong direction there... sell it and buy a 230F. Heavier on paper, but sure as shit doesn't feel like it sitting on it or riding it. Center of gravity is WAY lower than a 250X, and the seat height is a lot lower as well. You can mod a 230 and make it a helluva trail bike, and will do some light duty at the track as well.

Stick with the 250X, if she likes the gearing and it rides well - stay with it. If you get a 250R, the gearing is a little different (set up for racing). She would have no problem handling it once she gets use to the difference. The weight difference is only about 15 pounds with the starter and electrics. I have to tip-toe to balance till I get going. So far a crash hasn't been a problem for me to pick up. Even my 14 yr old daughter who only weighs 110 lbs can pick up the bike. Use the legs, not the back. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advice. My wife loves her bike's power and handling, it's only a question a weight. She's 5'11" so height is not an issue; she's able to pick her motorcycle up a few times in a row, but we race HareScramble in pretty muddy conditions and tight woods, after a while she's completely exhausted.

A KTM 200 would be a good alternative, too bad it's a 2 Stroke, I am not very familiar with the KDX 200, the others CRF 230 or TT 230 are way too small for her, plus she has tasted the nice powerband of a real 250.

Thanks again

15 lbs more? Add in the skid plate, handguards, more gas, fender bag, and a couple of other things I am not remembering.

If they were going to trail ride, these items would be added to the R also. But stock it's only about 15 lbs between the two.

But stock it's only about 15 lbs between the two.

I believe claim dry weight are respectevely 234 lbs and 204 lbs for the X and the R. So we are talking at least 30 lbs... that's a big difference... :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advice. My wife loves her bike's power and handling, it's only a question a weight. She's 5'11" so height is not an issue; she's able to pick her motorcycle up a few times in a row, but we race HareScramble in pretty muddy conditions and tight woods, after a while she's completely exhausted.

A KTM 200 would be a good alternative, too bad it's a 2 Stroke, I am not very familiar with the KDX 200, the others CRF 230 or TT 230 are way too small for her, plus she has tasted the nice powerband of a real 250.

Thanks again

I think someone already mentioned exercise program!! Strength and Cardio.

I would keep the X because the electric start is already saving her time and energy, and at 5' 11" size is not an issue.

Get her to the gym, or increase the duration of the existing workout and/or work on some strength training.

Racing line selection is critical as well. Is she a banzai pilot or a surgeon?

Get more seat time before the races if possible. I rode at least once a week prior to a race, and exercised 3 days a week. Its amazing how well your results improve with extra seat time and exercise!!

its 204 vs 225 actually. and when riding, youd be amazed how close they feel.

Yup, your right and I'm wrong. The Honda web site showed these weights and the dry weight for the current '07 models. So that's 21 lbs.

You actually believe those weights ?

Get info from someone that has the bikes. The weight difference is much closer than that. AND much more.

Dwight

i would guess its at least a 15lb difference stock for stock, full fluids.

I might believe that. But I believe the weight is actually much more than what everyone believes. Honda has been very optimistic about the weight of the CRF250F. Probably a lot closer on the actual weight of the CRF250X.

Dwight

:thumbsup:

the X feels super light to me. i am gonna shed a few lb's but thats just for the sake of doing mods.

im fine with the weight mine is now. its a very flickable bike IMO. :ride:

its 204 vs 225 actually. and when riding, youd be amazed how close they feel.
Dirt Rider April 2006 measured curb weight (everything except fuel) as 250 lbs for the 250X, anyone know what the curb weight of the 250R is?

My first bike was a 300lb DS - all the bikes seem light to me now.