Sign in to follow this  

Dumped bike need help

I dumped my bike today and I notice that my handlebars were messed up. I wasn't really going that fast. My handlebars were not bend but out of placement, so I bent them back. Once I did that I notice my forks were slightly off ( not level) THere not bent but they are not sitting right (level).

Any ideas anybody? Thank's in advance

See this thread

And if I read you right, you bent your bars (really common) and then bent them back into shape? Or did they just turn in the clamps?

Neither one is good. The first is a definate replacement is needed and in the second case I would replace them because of the scoring or potential scoring around the bars increasing the chances of failure.

I bent my bars after about 2 weeks. Get new ones, the stock bars suck - very weak.

I bet you bent your bars, my forks have taken tons of abuse....

Yeah my handlebars seem to be alright, I think my forks are bent or moved so they are sitting alittle cocked when I ride.

Edit: Sorry I'm new but where should I look at the triple clamps and if its crooked how should I fix it?

Take the bars off and make sure that they register square.

If it was me here is what I would do:

1. Remove the bars and check them.

2. Look at trees, they should be straight.

3. If they both are fine, then start to take a close look at your front end, check the roter, any binding on spacers.

If your fork legs or triple clamps are bent, get them fixed. But they are pretty tough, so I would doubt they are bent. It just looks that way when you look them with bent bars.

Hope this helps. Post some pics too, may be easier to help you with.

Loosen the bolts that clamp the fork tubes into the triple trees. Don't take the bolts out, just loose enough to move the forks around. Stand the bike up straight and have someone hold the front wheel between there legs so that you can twist the handlebars left or right to line everything back up. Once everything is lined up tighten the clamp bolts back up. Don't quote me on this but I think the torques for the bolts are 21 ft/lb for the top clamp and 19 ft/lb for the lower. Twisting of the clamps is common in a fall. It may help to remove the front fender when you line everything back up because you can see the tire better.

Loosen the bolts that clamp the fork tubes into the triple trees. Don't take the bolts out, just loose enough to move the forks around. Stand the bike up straight and have someone hold the front wheel between there legs so that you can twist the handlebars left or right to line everything back up. Once everything is lined up tighten the clamp bolts back up. Don't quote me on this but I think the torques for the bolts are 21 ft/lb for the top clamp and 19 ft/lb for the lower. Twisting of the clamps is common in a fall. It may help to remove the front fender when you line everything back up because you can see the tire better.

This just worked for me. I didn't remove the fender, but it would have helped.

what he said^^^

I agree, sounds like your forks have twisted in your triple clamp. Easy fix as mentioned above. The torque specs I have are lower clamp bolt: 23lb-ft and upper clamp bolt: 21.5lb-ft