Sign in to follow this  

Road gearing

I went to Big Bend national park in Texas last year and had a blast. It was riding off road trails (60%) and black top. We will do it again this year. My only problem was on the road my XR 400 ran out of top end and I had trouble keeping up. I needed a bigger gas tank also. This is with a stock countershaft sprocket and a rear with +3 teeth. Anybody know how to change 5th gear to a high speed (overdrive+) ratio???? I will install a 3.0 gallon tank fron Baja for longer legs, unless there is a bigger tank available. Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

a 15 counter and a 45 rear gives a reasonable top end. Might want to drop to a smaller rear sprocket for a highr top end. (also raise your forks as high as you dare if you plan on riding faster than 120kph for any extended periods)

This is a lot easier than buggering around in the gearbox anyway.

I'm ready to get into the gearbox. If I do the sprockets to get lower RPM on the highway, I will lose the slow speed in 1st needed to creep thru the big rock, really rough uphill stuff. That is what I'm doing now is changing countershaft sprocket. A really tall 5th would be sweet, if there is one. :thumbsup:

If you went to a 16T front with your 48 rear, your ratio would be the same as stock 15/45 or 3:1 reduction. I am not aware of any wide ratio gears made for this bike. Maybe something from the TRX400 ATV would give a lower 1st gear and allow using higher speed sprockets. I am running 15/47 on my 400 and have a top end of about 80 on my cheapo speedometer.

This is with a stock countershaft sprocket and a rear with +3 teeth. Anybody know how to change 5th gear to a high speed (overdrive+) ratio???? I will install a 3.0 gallon tank fron Baja for longer legs, unless there is a bigger tank available.
You're running a 14-48, right? That seems way to low, regardless of terrian. Even if you went back to stock that should be fine. Those bikes are such tractors, they'll go anywhere as stock.

I've never heard of any internal gear change made on xr400's.

Acerbis, Clarke, and IMS all make tanks larger than 3g.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure if a tall 5th gear was availible or not. It sure would be nice, but I can still juggle with sprockets and like everything else, its a compromise. I found a 5.8 gallon Acerbis tank, with that and a TT endurance speedometer. I should be ready to go.

check out the clarke tanks, i think there the best looking ones campared to the others. I got one andim happy i cancelled my ims order.

15 x 45 for trails,keep a 16 in your pocket for the highway :thumbsup: