Sign in to follow this  

GPSMAP 60Cx is $$$$, what else do you recommend?

I've had my eye on a GPSMAP 60Cx but the price hasn't come down that much.

What else do you guys recommend? I plan on using it on the trails of the PNW so I need good reception, big screen, ability to mount external antenae.

Thanks for th help!

I have a garmin gps 76c that I've had for around 2 years. It is tough as nails, has all the turn by turn stuff, color, and is waterproof. Also has an internal antenna and options to hard wire it to the bike. I have not used it on my bike yet but would like to see some dif. mounting ideas.

Maybe the 60CS. I have one and the 56MB of map memory is plenty for me. They may be available for a few $$ less than the Cx or CSx.

Paid 379.00 for 60CSx last month from GPSonSALE.com. Now I see that Garmin is offering a 50.00 rebate! Guess I bought too soon!

Garmin 176C, under 200 bucks. And yes, this unit is built to the mil-spec standards. It has different plastic and other goodies that makes it better than a lot of other GPS units. You don't have to harden these units, they don't break, I wish mine would so I could upgrade.

I don't recommend anything but the 60CSx... it's what I use. :ride:

I love it, works great and for routable driving in a vehicle works decent too.

A little costly, but well worth it IMHO.

:thumbsup:

If you have access to a computer or don't cover a lot of miles in one single trip the 60C w/o the X is good.

176C for under $200 ??? Where did you find that?

I'm considering a 176 or 176C on the used market... Can get the 176 on ebay brand new for about $250-300

Just got my 60csx in the mail today! Got it on Ebay from a guy that decided that it was just too much work to figure it out. "Perfect"! New condition for $250.00 Nice. :thumbsup:

DuelRule, that baby will hold all your LA-B-Vegas download routes and tracks just fine!

Westmarine.com has it for 199.

If it's there for 199, you can prolly do better at internet sites. GPSonline.com, GPSmapstore.com, Cycoactive.com

RiverRat what do you mean by “if you do not cover a lot of miles” ? I am looking to change from the 76S to the 60C. I do 100 mile to 900 mile multi-day dual sport rides.

He means that the 60C holds 56megs worth of maps. The "x" models have replaceable cards....which means you can get a large card (256...512???)and load a bunch of maps for a very large area. If you plan on using the 60C in the car, you can easily run out of map storage if you travel long distances.

I've got Topo, Roads and Rec, City Select and City Navigator. If anyone wants to know how much space a particular area takes up...let me know.

I suspect by map data you mean map data from City Select and City Navigator which contain map image data and data on gas stations, restaurants, hotels, etc…

Using Mapsource TOPO I have loaded almost the whole state of Nevada into my 76S (24MB) and still have plenty of memory left.

So would the memory be an issue if the GPS was used just with Mapsouce TOPO?

I use TOPO map data for my dual sport rides and then gather Route Track and Waypoint data from many other sources. Since Route Track and Waypont data is just ACII format on the PC, I suspect that it is not a concern for overall memory.

But I think Track data memory is stored in it’s own section of the GPS. As I have run out of Track memory on my 76S and still had overall memory for the GPS available.

The track memory is separate. On my GPS60cs, you get 10,000 track points in the active track og (the stuff you save up as you ride along). In addition, you can store 20 saved tracks (500 points each). I think a lot of the Garmins have the same amount of track memory (check the specs of each unit, on the Garmin web site).