Dual Sport CRF230 GEARING

Ok guys. Talk to me. How are you getting your 230's up to highway speed while keeping things low enough for trails?

I've asked before and nobody answered. I know there are dual-sport CRF230's out there, so tell me what you've done!

I've got a 45 tooth rear sprocket, and max comfortable speed is about 48. I can go 55mph, but it rev's high enough that it pings and i just dont like it. I am going to move up two teeth on my front sprocket and see what happens. I sure hate losing my low end for trails.

I have a 48 rear 14 front (3.43)with Maxxis IT tires,And i can cruise at over 60 mph down gravel roads and top out at 70 on the pavement. The stock gearing was too low for trails anyway i can ride faster and not shift as much with the higher gearing and if you need more power just slip the clutch.

We have a plate on my sons 230 - what is stock gearing? He does not seem to have trouble doing 60+ with stock gearing... but I never rode it at that speed. But we have only done that for a few minutes.

You can get a 15t front sprocket... you have to go to a dealer that can order from Motorcycle Stuff Dist... the part number is JTF327.15

I just helped a friend do this to his bike and the 14 tooth was still a little buzzy for him.

Retail is about $14

Good Luck

I would jump up to a 15 but i loved the ability to crawl around on trails. I just might have to do it though.

Coffee, there is no way he can be crusing 60 comfortably with the stock gearing... I could only go about 45 before i backed off for fear of hurting my bike. I weigh about 130, im just a senior in H/S myself. You might want to take it for a quick ride and make sure everything is in order.

well the 230 we just did for my buddy has a 14-46 he doesn't like the r's at speed so we will put the 15 on for the front when we get it... right now as it stands he says the bike likes to cruise around 55 but will go up to 68 or so...

Will keep you posted after we get the gear... good luck getting it.. I called motorcycle stuff this a.m. and they say it is on backorder with no eta...

My crf150 with 230 bottom,big bore kit,cam and all the other bolt ons is silly, 4th gear throttle wheelies. First gear is only good for about 5-10 ft... that is with a 14/48. Good thing I got one for my bike a week or so ago:-) I would tell you how the 15t works on my bike but the 150 tranny has different internal gearing than a 230...

Chat later

We put a plate on the bike to connect the trails but we took a Sunday ride and for a little while we were doing over 60mph. Bone stock bike after re jetting, snorkel, and stinger removed. My son was on the 230, I on my dual sport.

No clue at all how close to the rev limiter the 230 was and like I said I will follow up. We need to decide how we are going to use the bike to decide what gearing changes if any need to be made. Quite frankly the super low stock gearing we like a lot for the trails we do - and our skill level. No pro at wrenching but have made sprocket changes no problem.

Probably what will happen is leave the gearing the way it is until he takes it to college then put a 15T CS on it or whatever makes sense - yes I know they chain may need to be changed depending on what we decide. And yes I know there will be storage and theft issues if he takes it to college but that is an option I would like to have if it makes sense. Parking at colleges is usually not good.

I would like to take a ride on that bike, or any other bike, but cannot for at least another month (leg).