Sign in to follow this  

Question - Removing the Generator Cover

My brother crashed my DR a couple weeks ago on a dirt road. Aside from some broken lights, blinkers, mirrors and scratches (to name a few) everything else seems to work ok...except...a rock poked a small hole on the bottom of the generator cover. I hope I am calling this by the proper name, but it's the main engine cover on the left side of the bike. Oil has been leaking out of this hole since the crash. I am sure I can order a new cover piece, but my question is, is it as simple as removing the 11 bolts that hold this peice on? Will the engine "guts" pop out if I remove this cover? I assume a new gasket will have to be placed between the cover and the engine, but hopefully nothing else mechanically needs to be done. I would like to remove the cover tomorrow and inspect it further to make sure there was nothing damaged on the inside of the hole, but I don't do very well mechanically.

I had a skid plate on the bike thankfully, and the skid plate took a heck of a hit...even put a small dent in the bottom frame tubing that is protected by the skid plate. Unfortunately, the rock hit the side cover too somehow.

Thanks for any advice.

Jeff

Oh, I did speak to a mechanic today, and he said he could weld the hole closed... This makes me slightly nervous, but maybe this is a good way to go instead of a replacing the thing?

No tricks to removing the cover BUT the alternator hasis a big strong magnet so it will try to hold on the cover as if by magic. Drain the oil first.

I did the same thing 300 miles from my trailer in the Smokey mts.

Yup it comes right off but the magnet resists. You might loose a couple of the starter drive gears and parts so make sure you don't leave anything behind. Rememebr the limiter gear has a washer on each side so don't loose one like i did. Just pull it off slow and keep and eye on the starter gear area.

Yes you can Tig weld a small hole. Buy a aluminum cover from Jesse and you should be good to go.

R_Little,

I removed the cover, and sure enough, a washer fell out into my oil pan. I don't know what the limiter gear is, and I was not able to see where the washer came from as it fell. Could you give me a bit more description on where that washer should go?

Thanks.

If you don't have a manual go to bikebandit.com then - OEM parts. Find your bike then look at the parts breakdown for starter drive. Probably the washer will be off of the limiter gear (the one that the starter motor drives directly). The outer bushing for this part is probably still in the outer case. This can fall out later like at the welders shop.