Lifted Trucks in California

I'm planning on relocating to Central Cal in then next 4 weeks and one thing I've noticed is the large amount of lifted trucks.

Are there lift laws in Cal as there are here on the east coast? If so, what are they?

Being a mechanic for years and a state inspector in PA, I know they give us a real hard time here.

What should I expect there?

Yup I've also noticed a large amount of lifted trucks. We have a lot in my town but they are mostly older beat up vehicles and most arn't lifted high at all but out in Cali there seem to be big nice lifted trucks everywhere you look. I'd fit in great with mine out here. I can say I love California.

Well, I went to the Superlift website and they have a button you can click to give you the lift laws in every state.

California:

Bumpers

Vehicles 4,500 pounds or less, the maximum frame height is 27”; 4,501 to 7,500 pounds – 30”; and 7,501 to 10,000 – 31”.

Other

Note: lowest portion of the body floor can't be more than 5 inches above the top of the frame.

I can tell you, this law is certainly violated repeatedly in California. I even saw a lifted dually.

One of the freedoms of california is not having a yearly vehicle inspection. You can drive around on bald tires, no wipers, no headlamps, no mudflaps, huge tires, etc. ?

My daily rant . . . :applause:

And until recently, no insurance either :ride: Finally the DMV has linked with insurance companies like many other states to read the insured status electronically.

Hopefully now when people cancel their insurance right after they get their vehicle registered, the DMV will send them a nice notice informing that they'd better get insurance back on there or loose their license for the vehicle.

As someone who gets off road occasionally with my truck (stock F-250 4x4, not lifted) to take my dirt bike back somewhere to unload for more serious riding, or to do some target practice or whatever, I do occasionally check out other SUVs and 4x4s.

Very rarely do I see evidence that the vehicle's ever been driven off road or through anything more serious than a rain puddle.

It's their truck so as far as I'm concerned they can spend how ever much they want on it to jack it to the moon, throw pretty things on it, etc. But, when the lift is done in such a way as to affect driveablility and safety, as so many of them are, then I have a problem.

I really don't care to have a lifted truck loosing control and endangering me and/or my family. Following one in the rain with no mud flaps is no joy either.

Lift it, but lift it safely. I'm all for enforcing the road worthiness of any lifted vehicle. I do think that all lift kits, or lift mods be designed and signed off by an engineer or certified inspection facility.

If you move to Cal they'll calculate your height to Pen!s length ratio @ the border inspection station. You will then be issued lift kit specification form #420-69ER. You must lift your truck accordingly or face citation.

-Tyler

I agree with you on the lifting it safely I know alot of guys that have skimped and used blocks up front when they shouldn't have.

And also, I've been the victim of big rocks hitting my windshield by trucks with no mudflaps. However there are ways of doing things and ways of doing things the right way. Unfortunately the latter is more expensive and people want to take the easy way out.

I do everything myself and the right way. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not going to be in for a nightmare.

If you move to Cal they'll calculate your height to Pen!s length ratio @ the border inspection station. You will then be issued lift kit specification form #420-69ER. You must lift your truck accordingly or face citation.

-Tyler

I wonder if that is directly related to the number of lowriders still around??

?

Depends on your GVWR........my F250 is in between 7,501 - 10,000 pounds so my frame can't be more than 31" off the ground. I'm over that though.

There are also laws in the vehicle code regarding tail light and head light heights. I'm over that too. A neighbor who is a cop got out the vehicle code book from the trunk of his patrol car and we went through it. Basically my truck is illegal but they cops never enforce it.

The only thing they might enforce is how far the tires stick out past the fenders. By law they are supposed to be flush, and if they stick out you need mudflaps.

Here's my pen!s extension.

IMG_0550.jpg

yes my dick is real SMALL :applause: it will be in an upcoming issue of SolCal Trucks mag soon ?

SoCal013.jpg

SoCal007.jpg

Yep!!! Me too. Hung like a hamster. Only 4 1/2" here.

Wakerider13...Nice truck :ride:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h69/gregjsimon/Snow%20Dog/Hollister04141.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h69/gregjsimon/Snow%20Dog/Hollister04142.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h69/gregjsimon/Snow%20Dog/100_0878.jpg