Sign in to follow this  

Engine shot

So I was riding down the highway going around 75 with stock gearing on my E, and it started to die in the fast lane, so I pulled over and it was making a bad rattling sound, kinda like cam ticking but worse. I got it apart today, and the timing was fine, but the crank con rod has way too much play in it, and the bearings are definatly shot. Does anyone know a good place in Mass that will rebuild it for a good price? I'm on a tight budget, and if it cost's too much I may just part the thing out on ebay and try to finance a new bike. Any good places I could ship it to? Also I'm hving a bitch of a time getting the swingarm pivot shaft out to get the motor out of the frame. It just doesn't want to budge. Any suggestions?

Thanks

If you can get the nut off the pivot spray the heck out of it with WD40 and you may have to pound it out.

Yeah the mechanic that did mine couldn't get the swingarm pivot bolt out either but he finally was able to and I just replaced it. I think he turned the bike on it's side and beat on it but I'm not really sure what all he did.

I sent my crankshaft off to LA Sleeves to be rebuilt. I think they were like $73 or 75 or something labor plus parts. Ended up costing me almost as much as a new one and I kind of wished I'd just bought a new crankshaft.

Swingarm pivot bolt - use pb blaster or a true pentrating oil on it, wd40 will work great if you are trying to displace water but it is not that great at pentrating. Soak it for a day or two, tap it with the oil on it and try to get it to pentrate better. This is why we at TT recommend lubing it right away after you get the bike, suzuki is known for being cheap on it's lube. Make sure you get the rest of the suspension points lubed as well as the steering head bearings.

As for the crank, there is some side play expected, how much do you have? This is not a well documented problem with the drz, the crank/bearings seem solid even if the rod seems to bend a little too easily. Which bearings are bad? the rod or the crank bearings? Ask a local shop who they use for crank work, most do not have the capacity to split the crank and reassemble in house.