Sign in to follow this  

oil change

I just changed my oil after breaking in the new 06 wr250f.before the oil never read on the dip stick until i ran it. the oil still does not read on it till i run it.i put in 1.48us qt. 1 1/2 qts. is that correct. I changed the filter plus cleaned out the screen in the frame? thank you.

my dipstick doesnt read untill i run it the manual says let it warm up for a few minutes then check it
So then, isn't your manual somewhat saying that your oil will not show on the dipstick until you run it?

Do you ever wonder why the engine oil is in the frame? How does it get to the engine? How it gets back?

It's pumped from the tank to the engine, and when it runs to the bottom of the engine, it gets pumped back to the tank. Even though there is a check valve to keep the oil from running down into the engine on its own, it nevertheless leaks down after a while (1-7 days, it varies), so that the tank will appear to be low or even empty. After it runs for about 1-2 minutes, it will have pumped all the oil out of the crankcases, and you can shut it off and check the level. Welcome to dry sump lubrication.