Sign in to follow this  

Powervalve inspection and cleaning. HOW??

Im condsidering inspecting and cleaning my powervalve. how should i go about doing so? there are two covers i can see on or around the exhaust valve area. one facing away from the bike on the left side (when sitting on bike) and the other is right next to it pointing at the front tire (just above where the exhaust bolts to the jug). which cover to i remove to get to the powervale? once im in there, how do i clean the powervalve out and with what? is there anything else i should know? thanks, i cant find anything on the powervalve in my clymer manual.

Im condsidering inspecting and cleaning my powervalve. how should i go about doing so? there are two covers i can see on or around the exhaust valve area. one facing away from the bike on the left side (when sitting on bike) and the other is right next to it pointing at the front tire (just above where the exhaust bolts to the jug). which cover to i remove to get to the powervale? once im in there, how do i clean the powervalve out and with what? is there anything else i should know? thanks, i cant find anything on the powervalve in my clymer manual.

There is not much you can "inspect" with the cylinder on the bike. You can remove the round pivot arm under the plastic cover to check to see if the valves move freely, but thats it. You need to remove the cylinder to do a complete inspection and cleaning. Do NOT try removing the power valves unless you have a shop manual. The valves are "timed", and you need to correctly "re-time" the valves upon reassembly. To clean the valves I use Easy Off oven cleaner. If the valves have seen fuel/oil mixtures of 32:1, and the engine has been ridden easy, the power valves will be gunked up badly.

If the valves have seen fuel/oil mixtures of 32:1, and the engine has been ridden easy, the power valves will be gunked up badly.

shit, thats exactly what i do!! should i try 40:1 or higher instead? im sort of a new rider, so i go pretty easy through the trails (1st and 2nd) but then sometimes i hit some long strech roads. depends on where i need to go.

shit, thats exactly what i do!! should i try 40:1 or higher instead? im sort of a new rider, so i go pretty easy through the trails (1st and 2nd) but then sometimes i hit some long strech roads. depends on where i need to go.

You are definately lightly lugging your engine (especially with the addition of the flywheel weight. You should be mixing at 50:1 for now, your bike will run SO much better. As you start beating the bike a little harder, then maybe step up to a 42:1 mixture. I've been mixing at 42:1 for the last 22 years worth of racing, and never lost a top end yet....

If you're going to change your mixture, make sure to jet for it. Putting less oil in your mixture will make your bike run richer air/fuel wise. This will make your gunk/spooge problems worse as your engine will not reach optiumum running temps. to burn all that crap off.