Sign in to follow this  

Lower RPMs?

So Ive had my 06 SM for about 3 months now and Im still lovin it! I just had something on my mind.

Ive been riding my SM mostly to work and back (short 11 mile spurt) on the highway at anywhere around 65-75mph. I noticed that when I first got her, the RPMs were a bit high...and Ive noticed the last few rides that the RPMs seemed to level off a bit. I just wonder if its me :thumbsup: ...or if its part of the break in process. Thanks for your input! :ride:

I think its you! R's can't change unless you drive slower or shift differently. She's probably just breaking, and mostly your just getting used to the noises. :thumbsup:

You finally found IT!!! The oh so elusive DRZ 6th gear!!! :ride:

Just kidding... Unless you changed your sprockets, your RPMs are the same... Or maybe you are like me: getting older and riding slower :thumbsup:

do you mean the idle rpm's? how are you checking the rpm's with a tach?

Cant idle at 70mph unless Im outta gear! Im just playin it by ear

You finally found IT!!! The oh so elusive DRZ 6th gear!!! :ride:

Just kidding... Unless you changed your sprockets, your RPMs are the same... Or maybe you are like me: getting older and riding slower :thumbsup:

Thats what I thought...I was sitting there thinking...shit..I think I DID find a hidden gear! Hahaha

maybe you stopped riding with your hand on the clutch. otherwise without having done any gearing mods it aint the bike it's you.

As the bike breaks in it will loosen up a bit, new motors (and to a certain extent transmissions etc) seem to be at their tightest when first used.

That could change the sounds/tone you are hearing and without a tach you are just guessing at the r's.

you probably dont wanna know what rpms your actually turning at those speeds, it kinda scared me (i put a tac on mine), but ill put you in the ball park, its above 6000rpms lol. Im putting a 16 tooth front on mine. It will take some modifying to the case saver and the chain guard or slider but it looks like it will go on. If that wont work im gonna go with the 38t rear. Im gonna try the front first though b/c its way cheaper and im cheap. lol

Your redline is at least 10,000 rpm's, so if you're only going 6,000 that works out to be 60% of redline. For a free reving engine like on the drz that is nothing. On my tengai, klx doesn't have a tach, I regularly run 80% and higher for some very long runs (6.6 gallon gas tank :thumbsup: ).