what about trials tires

I ride lots of techinal single track here in Idaho but also enjoy a little hill climbing on old mining roads for the view and to cool off some are a few thousand feet up with long loose rock sections will a trials tie preform ok on loose rock or would I be better off using a maxis it on the rear I average several hundred miles a week and hear that a trials tire will last a really long time any thoughts.

Trials tire will outlast any other tire, have more grip too. A lot more for what you want to use it for. You will never catch me using one, but I have tried one of my friends bikes with one and they do work. You get a fair bit of tire roll from them.

I said I would never try one, until I did. Now I am in love with the tire. I ride rockly desert, mostly hard pack, shallow sand at times and the trials tire is great. Its like riding a street bike.

It doesn't mean I won't use a knobbie for other situations.

Hill climbs become much easier, but keep your hand on the clutch because lots of rear wheel traction sometimes means lots of wheelies.

Here are some posts that may be good reading to you. The full trials tire debate has been gone over.

I think these are a good read.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364056&highlight=trials

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384566&highlight=trials

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384566&highlight=trials

I'm not gunna do much street riding, and what I will be doing is mostly going to be highway or mild street riding... How will trial tires last for that? The little riding I've done in the neighborhood (shame on me! ? ) has really rounded the stock tires. I'll probably end up keeping the stock front and only change my rear. Is there anything else that would be a good comprimise?

How well do these tires do for mud riding? Do they clean out pretty good?

I use an IRC trials tire (tubless tire, with a tube), but I mostly ride in the desert. I know for a fact they are great when the conditions are not muddy (wet is ok, but muddy is different)

The general consensus is that they may not be good for that. Check the three post above for various real world opinions by people that actually use them. Or, try asking in the offroad forum. You'll get a ton of responses there.

I run a michy X11, I run it at 10psi and would have to say I'll never use a knobby again, in my opinion the trials out performs a knobby in every situation including mud, while I watch my mates slip and slide the trials keeps my rear end tracking straight.

I run a michy X11, I run it at 10psi and would have to say I'll never use a knobby again, in my opinion the trials out performs a knobby in every situation including mud, while I watch my mates slip and slide the trials keeps my rear end tracking straight.

So... you have some real world experience in mud. That's great. I am wondering how my trials tire will do in a few months when the weather changes.

Sounds like I will still like it when I ride in the sloppy stuff?

What tire were you running before? What is your comparison?

952... Thats interesting. Many people love that particular tire.

question... I was riding this weekend through some desert trails but never got completely comfortable during sharp turns. Is it just me or does the trials tire feel kinda weird because it doesn't slip and slide like a true knobbie does?

I can get it to slip and slide on loose sand. But on other terrain, I have to really spin it up to get it to break loose. Sometimes, when turning at speed (speed for me is about 30mph or about 19km per hour), I really need to back end to slide around.

As it stands now, I find myself going just a little slower in the turns. Is this your observation also?

Don't get me wrong... I still love this tire.

Are Trials Tires any good for street use? I'm starting to wire my D/S kit and am looking for a good tire to go with...
The Michelin or Dunlop competition radials are probably not a good street choice and would wear quickly...however a generic brand X "trials universal" works fine and many came standard with dual purpose bikes at one time... being much better on the street then a knobbie.

when turning at speed (speed for me is about 30mph or about 19km per hour), I really need to back end to slide around.

Just so you know 30 mph is 50 Kph.

I have to try one of these trials tires. I just have a hard time believing they are that good in the dirt.

I debated for a couple years before I tried a trials tire. I don't think I will ever go back. I hate the way it looks in the back of my truck, but the performance on the trail is unbeatable. I ride the slick rock at Moab, I ride the rock strewn trails near old mines, I ride in the Utah desert. I haven't found a tire that performs anywhere near as good as a trials tire in all those conditions. I ride a Michelin X11. It costs much more, but lasts a lot longer than any other knobby I've ridden. I know I sound like a salesman, but I am being straight up with you. You will love the tire. I also ride my bike to work every once in a while. I increase the PSI to 15 for the road and avoid most of the tire roll that you are concerned about.