Sign in to follow this  

140 hours of abuse

Now after 140 hrs of abuse : Desert / desert and more desert and average 40 degree celcius ambient temperatures. Well serviced bike and no bitching :

Gears box seized, lost 4 and 5th and on the last stretch home total seizure. Engine opened :

third gear sprockets/gears seized. No damage to casing, one fork and some tits and tats. Also time to change piston and clutch plates.

Now : no complaints, any bike ridden in these conditions will need the same attention, bike is just over a year old. 2005 450X with heaps of mods. 450 R Cam, Yoshi Pro Carbon, JD Jet, Holeshot acc. pump, pro-tapers, excell rims, etc etc.

Bill for last service : Ouch USD 1500,-- but not ouch enough to stop riding. You ride you know you pay.

I'm glad to hear from someone who has maintained their bike well and puts forth an honest opinion and expectations. But I still think it's bad form on Honda to have a bike with these gearbox issues. 140 hours and needing a piston, top end, clutch work.... sure, but not a gearbox rebuild. There are bikes out there with 10 times the hours and abuse you probably put on yours with the factory gearbox intact.

Anybody who says "but its a high tech four stroke" can stroke me! The tranny has nothing to do with the new vs old four stroke vs 2-stroke argument.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I love my X but c'mon Honda.

Were you running extra oil in the tranny??? And, what kind of oil was it???

spy make a good point! Honda has been building trouble free trannies forever, so what's the deal with this one???

Interesting that there doesn't seem to be any parallel tranny issues in the 06 quads, which use the same engine/trans. Think about it. The quad is pulling a lot more weight, so you would expect it to fail more often, rather than less. This kind of points out that this is a lubrication issue, not just a "weak" tranny..........

Were you running extra oil in the tranny??? And, what kind of oil was it???

spy make a good point! Honda has been building trouble free trannies forever, so what's the deal with this one???

Interesting that there doesn't seem to be any parallel tranny issues in the 06 quads, which use the same engine/trans. Think about it. The quad is pulling a lot more weight, so you would expect it to fail more often, rather than less. This kind of points out that this is a lubrication issue, not just a "weak" tranny..........

AFAIK you dont sit wide open on a hwy on a quad.

Honda's gearbox design for 5th doesnt like wide open mile on mile with normal oil levels

Hi guys, thanks for the reply, but complaining wont get me a free gearbox rebuild. Just wondering doesnt power also play a role? ps with me it was 3rd gear by the way. Drum was also chipped, so a new drum goes in. Even then I wouldnt consider this a total rebuild. Every make of motorbike riden hard in harsh conditions will seize at some point. I have riden Husky's Honda's and Yammies all have their own perculiar issues. Btw. might try to fit an R head so that I have the larger valves. PS bike will now be kitted out for FIM Rally use. 25 l tank, cush drive, fairing GPS roadbook etc. New desert playbike to be ordered soon (yes another X)

Honda has been building trouble free trannies forever, so what's the deal with this one???..........

If you check the history of the XR's, in particular the 600, you'll find the boxes in some of these werent prefect and quite regularly let go, as in the 2nd or 3rd gears wearing out before the 10,000 km mark. The CRF's aren't really alone here.

If you check the history of the XR's, in particular the 600, you'll find the boxes in some of these werent prefect and quite regularly let go, as in the 2nd or 3rd gears wearing out before the 10,000 km mark. The CRF's aren't really alone here

That's a good point.

Paul, I admire you for running that thing year round in those conditions. When I was over in that area on the hot days I'sd be thinking man, this would be a bitch to ride in.

How much oil were you running in it ? Doug

If you check the history of the XR's, in particular the 600, you'll find the boxes in some of these werent prefect and quite regularly let go, as in the 2nd or 3rd gears wearing out before the 10,000 km mark. The CRF's aren't really alone here.

spot on XR6

many people forget the old XR traits - gearboxes, poor starting etc (on 250s partic).

At least though on the XRs you got a decent amount of use before she let go.

Have a 600 in the garage now that spit out the transmission, found used parts and are putting back together for a friend...

But thats 6000 miles. I bet most guys haven't put 6000 miles on their 450X's yet. I haven't put but 100 miles on mine so I shouldn't really talk.

This is just the first story of an honest account of tranny failure not involving road use on the board. He says he maintained it well but rode it hard. I can respect someone who says that and takes a mechanical failure in stride because it happens.

I would like to know if he was runnig the oe spec oil amount or the extra. I do run the full quart in the tranny though just to be safe.

This thread is really starting to P155 me off. Gearbox's failing at low hours / low km's (miles)? Totally unacceptable. Assuming I had not abused the bike (poor servicing / maint, racing etc...), warranty or no warranty, I would be working my way up through the Honda ranks till I got satisfaction (new or repaired box at no cost). I had this situation with my car a few years ago where the trans started playing up at low (30,000) miles. The car was out of age warranty (over 3 years old) and so the dealer would not come to the party until I hade made several calls and written to a Ford executive. Tranny was rebuilt at no cost to me in the end. Took a bit of effort but saved me the best part of $1000 which was money I didn't have at the time.

Allot of dribble there, but I guess my point is your are not buying something back shed built out of China. Honda is (meant to be) a quality company with quality product and you pay for it accordingly. Abuse it and I guess you get what's coming. But look after it, and they should look after you.

This thread is really starting to P155 me off. Gearbox's failing at low hours / low km's (miles)? Totally unacceptable. Assuming I had not abused the bike (poor servicing / maint, racing etc...), warranty or no warranty, I would be working my way up through the Honda ranks till I got satisfaction (new or repaired box at no cost). I had this situation with my car a few years ago where the trans started playing up at low (30,000) miles. The car was out of age warranty (over 3 years old) and so the dealer would not come to the party until I hade made several calls and written to a Ford executive. Tranny was rebuilt at no cost to me in the end. Took a bit of effort but saved me the best part of $1000 which was money I didn't have at the time.

Allot of dribble there, but I guess my point is your are not buying something back shed built out of China. Honda is (meant to be) a quality company with quality product and you pay for it accordingly. Abuse it and I guess you get what's coming. But look after it, and they should look after you.

What are you on mate? That is the biggest load of absolute carp I have read in ages.

You dont pay more for a Honda. That is nonsense. You pay LESS. Much LESS.

Look at European brands - they're 25-33% mor expensive. CRFs cost $10000. KTMs and Hbergs more like $15000

I also dont know what rock you've been under but CRFs are built smaller and lighter than XRs. They out handle and are a ball of fun.

CRF engine weight - 30kgs

XR600 engine weight - 50kgs

If you wont accept reality that lighter weight is paid for somewhere along the line ( or are you so naieve that you expect the exact same performance durability from a CRF as you would from an XR?) then you're not really fit to comment.

Comparing dirt bikes with cars is also fricking useless - vastly different uses and vastly more abuse from the get go on a dirt bike.

Open your eyes mate - bikes in general are not what they used to be. That's not Hondas fault. Thats just the way things are.

Who forces you to buy a Honda? More often than not it would be penny pinching I bet - otherwise you'd buy a KTM right?

I tend to agree - probably despite most members of this group.

I could probably accept the machine's hand grenade type attitude IF Honda had left the XR line in place for those of us who don't ride the ragged edge all the time.

I really wanted another Honda - CRF is not for me and there is no alternative.

Hello Suzuki.

...and no, it is not an XR either.

Hey, buddy, remember the name of the thread? 140 hours of abuse?? In the desert? The gearbox failure doesn't really surprise me. Don't forget that 3rd gear is probably the one most ridden on. Of course it's liable to fail sooner than the rest of the tranny!

What are you on mate? That is the biggest load of absolute carp I have read in ages....

blah blah blAH... otherwise you'd buy a KTM right?

Firstly - Carp is a fish we're trying to eradicate over here.

Secondly - I don't know what rock you've been hiding under but you can get the same deals for a KTM that you can for a Honda. $15K for a GayTM - not likely. Compare Honda prices with something out of China and you will see they are at premium.

Third - why would you compare an XR600 engine weight with a CRF450 (correction 32 kg's)? perhaps the XR4 (38 kg's) but not the 6 !!!

Fourth - Of course I expect the same quality and durability of my XR. In fact I expect better. I'm paying a premium (compared to XR).

Fifth - Re: your comment on comparing cars with bikes - you obviously don't drive a 4WD. I was more comparing the company policy and strategy to get poor workmanship fixed anyway.

Last - I wouldn't own a KTM if someone dropped one in my garage. Temperamental, nicely marketed pieces of junk.

P.S. Don't accept 2nd best - demand quality. The manufacturers will keep giving us crap if we accept it like you obvoiusly would!!!

Hey, buddy, remember the name of the thread? 140 hours of abuse?? In the desert? The gearbox failure doesn't really surprise me. Don't forget that 3rd gear is probably the one most ridden on. Of course it's liable to fail sooner than the rest of the tranny!

Yeah. I think the word "abuse" here is the key one. Perhaps the rider is a gun and his desert riding is more like desert racing in which case the stresses placed on the motor are far greater and more frequent than your normal weekend warrior. Good call. :thumbsup:

Firstly - Carp is a fish we're trying to eradicate over here.

Secondly - I don't know what rock you've been hiding under but you can get the same deals for a KTM that you can for a Honda. $15K for a GayTM - not likely. Compare Honda prices with something out of China and you will see they are at premium.

Third - why would you compare an XR600 engine weight with a CRF450 (correction 32 kg's)? perhaps the XR4 (38 kg's) but not the 6 !!!

Fourth - Of course I expect the same quality and durability of my XR. In fact I expect better. I'm paying a premium (compared to XR).

Fifth - Re: your comment on comparing cars with bikes - you obviously don't drive a 4WD. I was more comparing the company policy and strategy to get poor workmanship fixed anyway.

Last - I wouldn't own a KTM if someone dropped one in my garage. Temperamental, nicely marketed pieces of junk.

P.S. Don't accept 2nd best - demand quality. The manufacturers will keep giving us crap if we accept it like you obvoiusly would!!!

YOu are an abolute bullshit artist. The CRF is much cheaper than a KTM or Husaberg.

CRFs do not sell at a premium. They are cheap bikes.

Tell me who makes a 450 in the smae class as the WRs etc from China and sells it in Australia and is a worthy competitor???

FFFING NO ONE YOU carp talker!!!!!!!!!!!

Premium to what?

WRF450 - NO

KTM 450 - NO

Husa - NO

Dont accept 2nd best!!!!!!!!!!!

&%$#@! do you mean??? Who's second best? At what time?? CRFs are much lighter and more powerful than XRs which is hwy they are not as durable.

&%$#@! is hard to underdtand about that?

Rooting too many roos eh????

c'mon mate - all friends here.

This sums it up for me.

If I choose to buy a brand new $10K+ road registerable motorcycle, and ride it like a complete geek on the road, maintaining some fairly anal serviceing intervals, it is reasonable to expect it to last the distance.

If not, why bother ADR'ing it. Leave it as a pure MX bike.

BTW: as for Eurotrash - Don't Husky's come with a 1 year warranty ?

YOu are an abolute bullshit artist.... blah blah blahh

I don't know what planet you live on mate but whatever they smoke there, I want some. Don't worry about RRP, I don't know anyone that's paid more than A$12,500 for a 450EXC. Only about $1000 premium to the CRF and most of that is due to shipping from Europe v's Japan. Pretty comparable pricing (ex factory) to a CRF I reckon.

Husaberg is in a different league altogether. Wouldn't mind a Husa actually.

I do run the full quart in the tranny though just to be safe.

Me too,and I've read of no failures of bikes that were running the full quart. Doug