Computer frustrations...

Am I the only one who's husband changes stuff (settings/software, etc.) on the freaking computer and then you can't find important files!!!!

ARGH!!!! ?:ride::applause::applause:

Maybe it's just because its 4:30am!!

More info would be helpful?

Are you using say word to always keep track of files and don't "really" know where they are on the computer?

My wife does this and why I ask?

If he upgrades and the software no longer has previous files listed you should know that they are actually at C:\Documents and Settings\usersname\My Documents for example.

I actually created a folder directly under c:\ for my wife to keep her word files to make it easier.

Also if you have no idea where the files were but know what they were such as word files search for *.doc or *.xls for excel files etc...

My husband installed Office to try to figure out why I hate it so much. (On a computer at work that Pete worked on for my boss he installed Office instead of Works, which doesn't apparently have envelopes and labels. Another pisser as I spent time for the bosses wife doing all these labels to send kid pics for her family and friends.)

When I opened Word to access my Word documents it would only give me access to Works(???) docs for some reason. All the folders in my docs were there but there was NOTHING in the folders. It also wouldn't give me the option to access Word docs (yes I double checked I had Word opened and not Office.)

Just irritated with insomnia @ 4:30am. I got it to work but the set up is strange.

My favorite though was when he decided, back when everybody used to have very slow dial up, to install Linux over Windows as an operating system. Took 24 hours to download, a day to figure out how to get up, a day to figure out he couldn't figure it out to make it work with Windows, and a day to uninstall it. Course partially on the last day he learned about running dual operating systems but was committed to uninstalling that mess.

Yes, having our own log in would be nice but he's always adding or removing stuff so it affects what I have, or he starts to do it and then never finishes.

Oh well, if this is all I have to really complain about in my marriage, I've got it REALLY good!!! ?:ride::applause:

If you have XP, set yourself up as the administrator and set his accout up w/out administrator access. Might make him angry, but he won't be able to change much.

Yeah, but he might not work on my bike anymore and THAT would be a drag!! :ride:?

We have XP. But ya know, he knows WAY more about this stuff than me.

Word is a fickle program. It reads down but not up. If you have a higher version at work and a lower version at home, you can't do anything from your home computer with work stuff. However, if you type a letter at home you can edit at work. Go figure.

Yeah, but he might not work on my bike anymore and THAT would be a drag!! :applause:?

We have XP. But ya know, he knows WAY more about this stuff than me.

well then you wont put out in the bedroom. so its a win-win situation for you.

and get a fast computer, XP, and make yourself the administrator and make his profile a normal one without administrator access. :applause:

and if he knows more about it then you, hvae him teach you how to do whatever you want, seems simple enough right? :ride:

My husband installed Office to try to figure out why I hate it so much. (On a computer at work that Pete worked on for my boss he installed Office instead of Works, which doesn't apparently have envelopes and labels. Another pisser as I spent time for the bosses wife doing all these labels to send kid pics for her family and friends.)

When I opened Word to access my Word documents it would only give me access to Works(???) docs for some reason. All the folders in my docs were there but there was NOTHING in the folders. It also wouldn't give me the option to access Word docs (yes I double checked I had Word opened and not Office.)

Just irritated with insomnia @ 4:30am. I got it to work but the set up is strange.

My favorite though was when he decided, back when everybody used to have very slow dial up, to install Linux over Windows as an operating system. Took 24 hours to download, a day to figure out how to get up, a day to figure out he couldn't figure it out to make it work with Windows, and a day to uninstall it. Course partially on the last day he learned about running dual operating systems but was committed to uninstalling that mess.

Yes, having our own log in would be nice but he's always adding or removing stuff so it affects what I have, or he starts to do it and then never finishes.

Oh well, if this is all I have to really complain about in my marriage, I've got it REALLY good!!! ?:ride::applause:

Another self-centered man trying to make things work better.

Yep!! ?

I asked what the deal was and of course it was a VERY simple settings change. :ride::applause::applause::applause:

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Maybe it's frustrating because I always feel really stupid afterward.

This might help...Instead of opening the program and then looking for the file, open the file by double clicking it. You can also put a shortcut on your desktop to the folder with all you files.

DRZCat,

Good gosh do you hear yourself!!!

Go out and buy a dang PC yourself (I mean it is your money right, what's his is yours and what's yours is yours :ride: )

I mean you can pick a new toy up for $400 bucks that I think would be more than what you even need!

Don ?

DRZCat,

Good gosh do you hear yourself!!!

Go out and buy a dang PC yourself (I mean it is your money right, what's his is yours and what's yours is yours :ride: )

I mean you can pick a new toy up for $400 bucks that I think would be more than what you even need!

Don ?

Why should I spend $400 on ANOTHER computer, when I need VENTED motorcycle pants MORE!?? And I actually I need waterproof pants for winter too.....hmmmmmm, priorities, priorities...

And most of this was just me whining about how stupid I am. Sorry about that.

If you have XP, set yourself up as the administrator and set his accout up w/out administrator access. Might make him angry, but he won't be able to change much.

unless he gets ERD commander or something similar and resets the admin password when she's not looking, lol.

i've always had a computer for each person in the household. letting someone else use your computer is like letting someone else wear your underwear. only for special occasions. ?

No you are not alone. My bf does the same thing. why? beets the hell out of me. I dont use my computer at home much exept for listening to music and playing solitaire. He has screwed up my music play list and even managed to DELETE solitaire! I feel your pain. Just take a deep breath and remember... he just a man.