Sign in to follow this  

rear shock/front springs

already posted in suspension forum with no luck. just got my new/used 06 450r. suspension has been revalved. it is at local race shop now, awaiting beefier shock and springs. i weigh 190 in gym shorts. i am considering getting 1 size heavier rear shock and front springs then what is recommended for my weight. maybe even 2 sizes larger. because; i tend to over jump every now and then. getting the large shock/springs, how will it effect handling? thanks i am a middle to back of the pack c class rider right now. fraley

I am in the process of going to .49 in the front and 5.7 in the rear. Trying searching for "suspension" , "spring rate", "shock rate", etc. There is tons of useful info to be found!

Remember that if you go to stiffer springs then you may not be able to get your correct static sag and race sag. This should be your baseline in determining what rates to use. Then valve it correctly to get the ride you want......

theDogger

What is the rear rate 5.4kg ?

Stock rear on my 05 is 5.5kg

Get the right springs for your weight. Heavy duty springs for over jumping is not the fix, you really just need to pin it and land rear wheel first. I think the stock springs are good for your weight and riding level.

I understand race sag, static sag and spring weight. Another issue that some over look is the lift that a properly sprung bike will give you. My 04 was resprung heavier, and I had no issues doubling our rythym section at our practice track, while this year, i'm having trouble doing it on the stock springs. I watched some video of myself and a friend doing a step up. He's 50 lbs lighter than me, and getting much better lift than I'm able to do, and we're both hitting it pretty much exactly the same. I weigh 210 plus gear, and if anyone has some heavier springs they'd like to sell, let me know.

I understand race sag, static sag and spring weight. Another issue that some over look is the lift that a properly sprung bike will give you. My 04 was resprung heavier, and I had no issues doubling our rythym section at our practice track, while this year, i'm having trouble doing it on the stock springs. I watched some video of myself and a friend doing a step up. He's 50 lbs lighter than me, and getting much better lift than I'm able to do, and we're both hitting it pretty much exactly the same. I weigh 210 plus gear, and if anyone has some heavier springs they'd like to sell, let me know.

This may open up a can of worms with some but you get little to no lift from your springs. I understand that it feels like your springs bounce you up over jumps, especially in a seat bounce, but that simply isn't true. If your forks and shock had no dampening then it may work.

Try this out. Go out to your garage, hook straps on your footpegs and tighten them down until both the front and rear are bottomed out. Now sit on the bike and have a friend cut both straps at the same time. If you were able to get "spring" from your suspenders then you and the bike should spring off the ground, but you will not because of the rebound dampening.

The feeling of springing off a jump during a seat bounce actually comes from the extra traction and drive you achieve by driving your rear tire into the ground which increases your acceleration up the face of the jump and "springs" you farther. Most of the top pros even assume that the extra distance comes from the shock rebounding and bouncing you over the jump which is actually incorrect.

.48 or .49 for the front, but leave the rear stock or no higher than a 5.6 for the rear.[/quote

Ditto.

I guess I see your point. I was told though, by the folks at FC, that proper spring rate, matched with proper valving, will help you pop over things easier. Along with riding up higher in the travel, it can be the difference between clearing something and not, I'm talking mostly small whoops, low speed variety stuff.

I guess I see your point. I was told though, by the folks at FC, that proper spring rate, matched with proper valving, will help you pop over things easier. Along with riding up higher in the travel, it can be the difference between clearing something and not, I'm talking mostly small whoops, low speed variety stuff.

With stiffer springs/ valving you can hit jumps faster without bottoming on the face of the jump so I can see how that would help you jump farther. Riding up higher in the travel allows you to use more of the suspension rather than just blowing through the stroke. Just wanted to post up my opinion that a properly adjusted suspension will never spring, bounce, hop, or bump you up over a jump because the dampening going on inside is designed to prevent this. :thumbsup:

Honestly, I'd like to seat bounce that girl in your avitar....but......ummm.....I digress :thumbsup: