atc200 to xr200

If you're talking about installing the ATC200E engine in the XR200 frame, it probably won't work, because the ATC engine is wider, it has an electric starter on it, (which necessitates a battery, rectifier, voltage regulator, etc), and it also has the pull starter mounted to the flywheel.

Not sure about the ATC200e engine (because of the electric start), but an ATC200s engine bolts right in..... I know, I have one.

If the electric start is not in the way (I think it is) there is no problem. If I remember right, the starter is in the way, but if it also has the pull start just remove the starter motor (and internal chain if there is one) and make a plate to block off where the starter used to bolt. The protrusion for mounting the starter motor should clear the frame.

Both engines use the same engine mounting bolts as an XR200.

The XR200 tubular frame protector won't clear the ATC engine - remove it..

Yes, the engine is wider - use the ATC shifter and bend the XR rear brake pedal out.

You use the complete XR exhaust system.

For the intake system, use the XR intake manafold, carb, and airbox.

The ATC engine only has 5 speeds.... but the gears are wider and stronger. 1st through 5th are the same as the XR.

Use the XR ignition system.

You will now have an auto clutch so you can remove the clutch lever and cable.

I have an '83 ATC200s engine in a '90 XR200 roller..... light, good suspension, handles OK, GREAT fun to ride!!!!

Good luck!

The ATC engine only has 5 speeds....

The ATC200E has a dual-range transmission, with a High and Low range, something else that may not allow the 200E engine to seat properly in the XR frame, and also something that the 200S does not have.

Good point about the high/low range.

As I had said, I'm not familier with the ATC200e engine.

Does it still use a chain for final drive?

We had an Trail 90 years ago with a high/low but it still used a chain.... knowing Honda, if it does use a chain it still may line up - just have a bulge where the extra gears are. The Trail 90 had that bulge OUTSIDE of the regular chain path.

Honda tries to use the same basic engine in as many applications as possible, just make the variations in the side cases.... the main cases are pretty much the same.

Humm... that may be true.

When I get a chance, I'll get hold of a ATC200e engine to see if it clears..... but that won't be anytime soon.

If I remember right, the Trail 90 high/low shifter was outside the front sprocket and extended one way or the other. If it extends forward you might be OK, if it extends back you're in trouble. The sprocket on the XR200 is fairly far forward by modern standards, so the bulge might have a chance of clearing.

Cheers!