Sign in to follow this  

Looking at a '96 JTR 270 and I Have questions.

Hi, it’s me again. If you read my earlier thread, “’99 GG 270 good bike for a beginner”, then you know I’m in the market for a good used bike as my first Trials machine. It’ll mainly be used for just a back yard play bike and to learn basic technique. Due to a disastrous set of events I never had the opportunity to go look at the bike discussed in that thread. I haven’t called to find out if it’s still available but plan to when and if I can find time to go have a look. In the mean time I got wind of another bike for sale. It is a ’96 GG JTR 270. It was described, by the owner, as being excellent and as having a brand new Michelin X-11 rear tire. It does have a couple of problems however. He says that his dog chewed some small tooth sized holes in the gas tank and that the radiator fan quit working. The tank would need to be replaced so does anyone know if they would still be available and if so, how much? Is the fan issue a common problem? Is it a simple fix? I’m assuming either the motor is bad or the thermo-switch. But it could even be in the wiring. Anyone have experience? I’m very hesitant to buy a bike with issues, especially one that’s 10 years old. Sometimes you get lucky and it’s fixed quickly, easily and cheaply. Other times it can be a nightmare. The thing is, he’s asking $800. He says the bike would be worth at least $1200 if not for these issues but that he doesn’t have the time or patients to deal with it right now. He is also more of an enduro guy and attempted to sell the bike earlier in the year for $1600. His original description, back in May of this year, was, “This bike was in storage for 6 years. Starts easily, runs well, no leaks or mechanical issues I'm aware of. Disc brakes, hydraulic clutch, "modern" design. Red w/white trim. Looks nice.

Has fresh linkage bearings plus brand new shock. Original tires 70%.” He then began riding it in the afternoons and decided to keep it. Now it’s for sale again.

Other than the above, what can anyone tell me about the ’96 JTR 270? Any specific issues, parts availability, etc?

Thanks again.

Get a hold of Jim Snell at Rising Sun Imports. He is the Gas Gas part distributor. There is a link off of the Gas Gas website. Jim can tell you parts availablity, prices and any other issues any particular model may have.

better yet call adrian at lewisport. he can answer questions and is polite. might even have a used tank and fan motor. i would think that if you don't get over $1,200 or so in the bike total you should be ok

Thanks for the answers. After getting some prices and talking to the nice people at TTC, in TN I have decided against this bike. By the time I replaced the necessary parts and whatever else it may need I'm afraid that I would have too much $ in it. After talking to a few folks, I learned that GG made a huge leap forward in '99 with the TXT so I've decided to spend a little more up front and hopefully get a newer, better bike that I'll enjoy more.

I'd say go ahead and buy it. In fact, give that fella a little more than $800 because he's a great guy. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I was thinking about offering more just so I would feel better about myself. I mean what if I only paid $800 and then found it was just a little corrosion in a connector or something. I would feel terrrible. :ride: But it seems the bike has already been sold. :thumbsup:

I will chime in since I own(ed) a 97 JTX 270 (I gave it to my dad and upgraded a little to a TXT321 since I do more high altitude riding now)

43630088.jpg

I found it to be a great beginer bike slow enough motor to learn the basic techniques but then quick enough to do fairly big obstacles. As far as parts avaliability, most things cross from year to year such as the the thermostatic switch and fan. Body parts can be somewhat scarce but I have had no trouble finding a set from my "local" dealer. The main achillies heal is the suspention linkage on those years its kind vulnerable, but its pretty inexpensive to restore/replace. I have never had any major problems with mine just normal things like fork seals and clutch system repairs.