Sign in to follow this  

Dunlop 606 tire preasure

Just put on new Dunlop 606 on my 06 s and am wondering what preasure for the street and what for the dirt (without rim locks). Any help would be great. Thanks

I run about 20lbs on the street..Some say run 15lbs all the time..street and dirt..I'd say anywhere between 15lbs and 20 for my riding area..Your off road conditions may warrant lower than 15lbs. I found 15lbs on the road created tire temps to the touch that felt too hot for me. I ride in the desert, hard pack rocky ground and some sand.

Does the tire slip on the rim at 15 psi without a rim lock?

Use a rim lock...better yet...use 2 so that you can balance the tire easier.

I have ripped off a valve stem before. Now I will always use one.

use rim locks 20 psi front lowered rear from 20 to 17 and it does not skid on pavement as bad now. as tire and air temps rise so will psi 15 is ok off road with a rim lock, any lower and rocks will dent your rims

How bad does the rim lock throw off the balance on the road? Can you still ride at 70+ with stability?

I guess it depends on what you can tolerate, a little luck, and air pressure. I have rim locks and my tires are not balanced, at lower pressures around 14 or so, i have had mine up to 90 indicated with 14/47 which is really winding her out. Would I stay there for any length of time no, but 55 to 65 is very tolerable. As others have said it would be a good idea to get a second set and mount them directly across from the factory location. I forsee that in my future. But all these damned supermotos may make that point mute for me. Those new supermotard marchenesis (sp?) look really nice and come in 4.5 and 5 in the rear for the DRZ.

Oh with the stock or lightly modified DZR, 606's, and pressures of 18 and up, i do not see how you could possibly spin the tire on the rim. I was very aggressive and abusive to 606s w/o rim locks and only started getting a little rim movement at 14lbs on the mx track, but like to run those low pressures so it required a rim lock.

What do rim locks look like, and where's the best place to get them? How about a picture? Thanks!

They look like ovals with a bolt on the back. Get them from TT they are only about $6 (??) each. I use 2 on the back to balance each other out. I really like to drop my pressure down to about 12 in the dirt (loose dirt). I run stock pressure 18/22 on the street. Just bought a small bike pump to go in my saddle bags to air up before I hit the street (haven't tried the pump yet) if I'm far from air. :thumbsup:

How bad does the rim lock throw off the balance on the road? Can you still ride at 70+ with stability?

Balance them and they will be ok. I had problems when I balanced them myself so took them to the stealors and they are fine now. :thumbsup: I still do 70 everyday, but I'm only on the highway for a couple miles and they are nothing like my Distanzas but they work.