Sign in to follow this  

Will my 2002 TZ250F parts fit my 2006?

The TZ's were a series of extraordinarily fast two-stroke road racers Yamaha built in the early seventies. The first one, the TZ350 was, in 1969 or 70, a water-cooled 350cc twin that was competitive against the AMA Grand National formula of 500cc OHV/750cc flatheads that was in place at the time, and were so embarrassing to the big boys that it provided some of the impetus for changing the formula to 750cc for all engines. Yamaha's response to this was the TZ700, a freakish, unnaturally powerful, almost unrideable 4 cylinder composed basically of two TZ350's. Kenny Roberts, Sr. rode them, and while they ran or remained upright, nothing was faster. The TZ350 later became the basis for the current Banshee engine.

Now you've heard of them. And you knew what he meant, anyway, didn't you?

The TZ's were a series of extraordinarily fast two-stroke road racers Yamaha built in the early seventies. The first one, the TZ350 was, in 1969 or 70, a water-cooled 350cc twin that was competitive against the AMA Grand National formula of 500cc OHV/750cc flatheads that was in place at the time, and were so embarrassing to the big boys that it provided some of the impetus for changing the formula to 750cc for all engines. Yamaha's response to this was the TZ700, a freakish, unnaturally powerful, almost unrideable 4 cylinder composed basically of two TZ350's. Kenny Roberts, Sr. rode them, and while they ran or remained upright, nothing was faster. The TZ350 later became the basis for the current Banshee engine.

Now you've heard of them. And you knew what he meant, anyway, didn't you?

Interesting, those TZ's sound pretty cool.

As far as swapping the parts on your yz, the only part that I know for sure will fit is the Zip ty part. Power now's have changed, I'm pretty sure the shock spring is different also.

The shock spring will fit.

Yamaha actually put a TZ700 engine in a flat tracker and Kenny Roberts rode it for 1 race. The thing was such a handfull that it even scared Roberts. He won the race, though, and AMA banned the bike from further competition. Guess they figured if it was too much for Roberts, it had no place on the track.

There was a long series of TZ250, 2-stroke parallel twin, road racers. I had a year old one in 89 that had been John Kocinski's race bike the year before.

so none of you guys think that TZ is just a typo of YZ (T and Y are next to each other on the keyboard)???

I thought YZ all the way... :thumbsup: