Sign in to follow this  

Can anyone recognize these symptoms ?

Ok heres another thread from me :applause: about yet another question :applause:

Ok so I have put almost 1000 miles on my bike in the past 2 weeks, averaging about 500 miles a week. When I got the bike, it ran super smooth, there was NO LAG whenever I would twist the throttle.

Now heres the situation, there is INCREDIBLE LAG when I twist the throttle, no matter what gear I am in or what RPM I am on. At 60-70 mph the bike feels like it cannot go anymore. Whenever I close the throttle at cruising speed, say 60 mph, the bike starts to slow down almost as if I was braking !! This never happened before.

From what I noticed, I need to adjust my clutch play but I doubt that would cuase just drastic performance decrease. In its current the bike really feels gimped :ride:

What gives ? :thumbsup:

Maybe its getting too much fuel and bogging out? Does it have a jet kit installed and the air box mod?

Maybe its getting too much fuel and bogging out? Does it have a jet kit installed and the air box mod?

The bike is bone stock. If it was getting more fuel then needed I am sure I wouldnt get 55MPG, in my opinion I dont think that extra fuel would create incredible lag even at high RPM ?

Does it run any better cold with the choke on?

You mean actually run it on the road with the choke on ? Sorry if I mistook your point.

Now heres the situation, there is INCREDIBLE LAG when I twist the throttle, no matter what gear I am in or what RPM I am on. At 60-70 mph the bike feels like it cannot go anymore. Whenever I close the throttle at cruising speed, say 60 mph, the bike starts to slow down almost as if I was braking !! This never happened before.

Dragging brakes? clogged airfilter?

Yea I mean when you 1st start it up in the morning or with a cold engine and you take off (choke on) does it run ok. And then when the bike is warm, does it make any differance if the choke is on? Try turning the choke on when the bike is at normal operating temp and see if there is any differance.

Dragging brakes? clogged airfilter?

Brakes are fine, the bike roles freely when I press the clutch.

How do I know if an air filter is clogged/clogging ?

Yea I mean when you 1st start it up in the morning or with a cold engine and you take off (choke on) does it run ok. And then when the bike is warm, does it make any differance if the choke is on? Try turning the choke on when the bike is at normal operating temp and see if there is any differance.

I will try this tomorrow.

Have you ever had the carb apart? Could be in the slide or carb in general.

You could try looking at it :thumbsup:

Err no I mean , what should I look for when I look at it ? I know filters usually have some oil on them & that generally makes them little dirty but how much is little & how much is bad , is what I dont know.

If it is a K&N, look to see how much dirt is on the inside of it.

No the bike is stock completely, there is no K&N filter.

On another note, I ran the bike for a while till I knew it was warm enough. Stopped at a shoulder & pressed the choke, engine shut immediatly, so now I know that its not getting excess fuel. I will check the air filter tonight & see whats up over there.

Have you done anything to the bike prior to the problems?

Could be a lot of things really. Valve clearance, generator, carb dirty, float adjustment, Spark plug, CDI, Coil, Timing. I am sure there is more i can't think of right now.

I think I would start with the air filter. Always make sure it is clean. Then clean out your carb.

Go here and download the service manual if you don't have it already

http://www.filehosting.cc/download.php?id=B310A048

Brakes are fine, the bike roles freely when I press the clutch.

How do I know if an air filter is clogged/clogging ?

uh...maybe you should take off the seat/sidecover adn LOOK at it??? :thumbsup:

Stopped at a shoulder & pressed the choke, engine shut immediatly, so now I know that its not getting excess fuel.

I think that by doing that you checked the idle circuit. You might wanna try pulling the lever down just a little bit while its bogging. I wish I could help more...but I never had to work on mine :ride:

One thing...I believe the carb is vacuum actuated. Maybe you have a loose line or plugged port. Maybe torn diaphragm? :thumbsup:

Ok. A few questions - What year is the bike? Are you the first owner? Where do you park your bike? How long after you refueled the bike did this start? This really sounds like water in the gas or trash in the gas tank. If you park the bike outside you could get some water in the tank from condensation, or more likely from the gas station. Drain the float bowl into a jar and look for beads of water. If you do find water, drain the tank and refuel.