Sign in to follow this  

Which leak down tester??

I think have may have bent valves and would like to verify with a leak down tester. Anyone have a experience with a decent one? Anyone make one? I am assuming that it is a 14mm spark plug hole so it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to put one together.....

if you can,t get hold of a leak down tester just use the hose from a quick connect compression tester :thumbsup:

Anyone make one?

I made one, it wasn't too hard. I'll have to get some pics together if you'd like. I think it was $40ish including the spark plug adapter from a compression tester.

I think have may have bent valves and would like to verify with a leak down tester. Anyone have a experience with a decent one? Anyone make one? I am assuming that it is a 14mm spark plug hole so it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to put one together.....

well the 14 and 18 mm stuff is for the auto and aviation stuff,

and the 10 and 12 is what you want for the bike world,

i have an old snap on unit that i have had for 35 years or more that i paid $125.0 for and it came with all 4 sizes ,

but i believe HARBOR fREIGHT has one on sail now for 39 bucks ( you might have to supply the 10 and 12mm adapter i am not sure,

and they have a Diesel one also for 39 bucks ----which is a deal ,

i had to pay $350.0 for my snap diesel one ! :ride::applause::applause:

but like was said earlier you can just use the hose from a compression tester and pump the cylinder full with shop air and listen where the big leak is

the only way a leak down does you any good is when you do a fresh motor you just built so you have a baseline on where it is cold and hot ,

i can get my crf motors right around 3 to 4 % leakage and you check them ever weekend and when they are 8 to 10 % you do them all over again.

which is generally every week or two ,

every week on the 250 ---that little motor goes away fast :applause:

if you check a worn out one you will easily see 35 % or more of leakage, :thumbsup:

I am not necessarily concerned with % leakage, I just need to find out if I have leakage past the valves. I suppose I only would need the adapter and an air hose to connect to shop air. Gauges wouldn't really be necessary. Is the CRF a 12mm???

I am not necessarily concerned with % leakage, I just need to find out if I have leakage past the valves. I suppose I only would need the adapter and an air hose to connect to shop air. Gauges wouldn't really be necessary. Is the CRF a 12mm???

yes just a hose to connect to shop air will suffice and alittle soapy water in a spray bottle ---

well i can not believe it but you were correct ,---i went out and picked up the wore out hose and fitting i use on the 250 and it is so wore out i can barley read the size on it but my 10 x 1.0 spark plug tap goes in the 250 hole ,

and now the hose and end i use on the 450 is almost wore out as bad but i can just reed 14 x 1.25 on the thing ------i still can't believe it but oh well i am very confused most of the time,

i have a 450 comming in here in an hr or so and i will have it apart very quickly and i will check it and make sure for you ----its looking like it is a 14 x 1.25 but i would have bet against it ---oh well i will write bike shortly :thumbsup: ----i am having one of those days :ride::applause: