Sign in to follow this  

Tie Down Tips

I am gettin back in to rideing after a long, long break whats the best way to transport a rm 85 and a yz 125 on a pick up ?(Ford Ranger) Its been so long since I piled bikes in a truck, have to go well over 125 miles to get to the track in Big Cypress fl

get a trailor, there is no way you are going to get a 125 and an 80 in a compact truck bed. If you some how manage to get the bikes in the bed, please post a picture.

Are you kidding me 06yz? We can fit 3 full size bikes in a tacoma. It should be easy with the bikes bars being different heights. just roll the 125 in and put the tie downs on and have it leaning out a little so the bars don't hit when you put the 80 on. Then roll the 80 up and put the tire under the 125's tie down, strap on the 80 and tighten them down, you might have to put one tie down through the 125's tire. Should be really easy.

get a trailor, there is no way you are going to get a 125 and an 80 in a compact truck bed. If you some how manage to get the bikes in the bed, please post a picture.
nonsense, we used to put 3 bikes (RM-250, TTR-125L, TTR-90) plus gear in the bed of our Toyota pickup ('90 SR5 LB). It was an incredibly tight squeeze but certainly not impossible. That said, I wouldn't trade our 6x12' enclosed Haulmark for anything (except maybe a 7x16').

It should be a piece of cake to put 2 small bikes in the back of your Ranger.

I've put 2 full-size bikes (XR4 + CRF250X) in the back of my Mazda, no problem at all. In fact, I could probably put 3 full-size bikes back there if I loaded the one in the middle facing the back of the truck...

When I strap 3 bikes into the back of my Ranger, I use three tie downs per bike. I put two of the tie downs in the usual spot. Then I come from the back hook on the outside and put that onto the bike. I do this to help diminish the bikes from swaying when I am going through corners on the road.

I strap my YZ450F and my friends YZ250F in the back of my Ranger no problem.

we put my yz250f and my friends cr85 big wheel in his ranger no problems

its a little harder if he has a stepside bed like mine. it is more narrow. in a regular bed you can fit 3 bikes facing foward by turning the handlebars in all the way and pulling the front tire against the side of the bed so it is wedged between the side and the front. do this to the 2 outside bikes and the middle one will slide in no prob with perfect room for all of the bars. me and my buddies do the wheel turn even if we have 2 bikes. it makes more space in the middle for gearbags.

LOL I've fit a 50 an 80 and a 450 together in the back of my 4 door Tacoma. I've also fit a GSX-R1000 and a 600RR together back there.

Anyway just get a ramp and use two straps per bike. You'll be fine :thumbsup:

Please never pack for a trip, you would need a train to carry all of your luggage apparently. :thumbsup:

I have fit three, count them 3, 125's in the back of my old 91 Ranger years back. Two are EASILY fit in a ranger, in fact im doing it again tomorrow. Except its now a CRF450 and a KX250.

We've had 3 bikes in my friend's Ranger a few times.

No problem, just but the tailgate down.