Sign in to follow this  

Over torqued and broke the bolt stud in the transmission case

Hi I overtorqued the bolt stud which is used for the transmission oil case plug (the long one around 5~6 inches). As I was tightening the bolt back on to the transmission case I over torqued it and it broke flush right at the begining of the threading inside the transmission case. I cannot use the easy out because it's too short for me to reach the inside of the case. Any way to take the broken bolt out without having to split the transmission case?

The easy out is to short to reach? If the bolt was turning freely and broke from over torquing, did not damage the threads and the bolt did not bottom out, the remainder is probably pretty loose. Will a drill reach? Buy a left hand drill bit and it will probably spin it out. The hard part will be to drill the center of the bolt. Maybe try sharpening a screw driver into a chisel, tap until it bites a little and see if it will turn the bolt.

***EDIT*** I see it is inside the case....my post is no good.....you;ll have to go the reverse drill route as explained above.****

Go into your dremel box and find the smallest, most worn-down grinding wheel you can (the thin kind). Cut yourself a nice slot in the stem of the bolt. Borrow a sturdy hand-impact driver w/straight screwdriver head. It should come out nicely.

PS: Spray a little WD-40 in the hole and let it sit some. Be sure there is none on the stem-head when you go to remove it.

Cheers'

Pullin'