Sign in to follow this  

Thumb throttle on a dirt bike

Is a thumb throttle set up available for a YZ250F? I would be interested in anyone who has this setup with there thoughts on it!

I am thinking this with the recluse clutch set up will drastically help me to prolong my ridding at the track.

I don’t think its arm pump, because its more in my wrists, and not so much my 4 arms, but especially my throttle wrist. I never had this pain when I use to ride quads at the track last year with a thumb throttle, just with the dirt bikes after a couple hours at the track.

Thanks!

Unless you have an injury or some sort I don't know why anyone would turn their dirt bike throttle into a quad style trottle. maybe you just need to strech corretly before riding.

I think you need to loosen up your grip on the bars or just get used to twisting the throttle.

Thumb throttle on a dirt bike? I wonder if they throw in a rack for your beer cooler too? (Kidding)

I know I would get responses like that, and actually, I am very use to riding with a twist throttle, I have been ridding dirt bikes for 14 years now. I think I have mild ARTHRITIS, which is the only reason after so long I want to look at the thumb option if there is one.

Yes I do stretch them before every ride, and I don't have the death grip like most who get arm pump.

Any helpful suggestions would be nice from someone who has this set up, I have heard of them being used, just would like more info on them.

Thank you!

Are you sure it's arthritis, and not CTS? (carpal tunnel syndrome)

I have CTS in both wrists, and I take vitamin B6 all the time. I also take 2 Excedrin about an hour before any ride. My wrists/hands hurt for the first half hour of the ride. Then after a short rest, I forget all about it.

I just heard from a few riding buddies that a product called "Osteo-biflex" triple strength works wonders. It's fairly expensive, but many enduro riders swear by it.

I got that when i got my first bike, but im used to it now after a year so it was prolly jus arm pump for me but if u have mild arthritis then you should do what randy suggest since he sounds like he has it under control

ive seen a thumb throttle on a dirt bike. my friends friend had one on his cr 250, it was a pretty neat set up. he rides quads and he didnt feel "at home" when he got his bike so he put a thumb throttle on it. HAA

that is pretty redundant to some extent. but...i think if you need it to be comfortable and be a better rider, go for it. whatever floats your boat. just be used to gettin strange looks whenever you pull up on a thumb throttle bike. haha.

that would be dum ,first of all,thumb trotle hurt you finger,the will look funy, if the trotle gets stuck you will have no way of pulling it back out (unlike twist), if you fall on it it will most likely snap off or get stuck pinned there for be a hazord because your foot might be under the tire, also IT MAKES NO SENSE

I have no idea why bikes wound up with a twist throttle instead of a thumb (or other) type throttle - possibly due to the fine control needed? A thumb throttle might work better than a twist, don't know.

You may want to check out Dr. Marks forum of TT for medical advice - good stuff over there. You may also want to be aware that some company somewhere makes a different profile throttle cams. Think about that. 1/4 Turn of throttle range and you can have the carb throttle 1/8 if you want. Not sure of the exact #s just throwing the idea out there, the profiles are changable.

Thanks for those who helped, especially randywrf. Yea It may very well be CTS, I haven't got it checked out, because it doesn't bother me any other time. I will give those supplements a try for sure.

I was PM'd a phone number to someone who may know how to buy one to fit the bike. So that is also great news.

For those who say why do I want one, and you think its dumb, stick with the twist.... ect..... like Yamiha said, if you need it to be a better and more comfortable when ridding go for it. Its not like I will be slower, or a worse rider because of it? I am doing it for comfort, and I don't care how people will look at the thumb throttle set up. When I am out there doing 20 consistent laps in a row on the track before a break, and there doing 5 laps, and taking a hour break, I think those are the ones who look silly. The ones who at the end of the day don't have a speck of dirt on there bike or gear, because they don't get any ride time in!

Who wouldn't want to try a product that MAY better there ridding skills and endourance? I bet all those who knocked the idea, never even tried it!

But thanks for all the positive help, I will let you all know if I can find out where to get one and how it works.

To actually answer your question, the best set up I heard is to use a honda trx 250r thumb throttle housing and then use the throttle cable off of the yzf450 four-wheeler. I've never done it myself, but would like to try since I spent the last eight years riding quads and am just now riding bikes.

Thanks for the combo referral!! I will do some ebay searching!

See I always rode bikes, but have had a few quads, so its not that I am not use to twist throttles, have had them for 14 + years, but my wrist have just recently been acting up the past year or so. And when I would hop on a quad, no pain! My thumb dosent get sore either like some. I rode hard a week streight on a 400ex at Durhamtown GA, with no hand/wrist or thumb pain on the track or trails the entire time.

Look at Yamaha or Honda quads that use our FCR dual cable carbs, if they have a thumb throttle that hooks up to our FCR carbs, you might be able to use that throttle housing on your bike - it should be a housing that fits on to a 7/8 throttle tube. Good luck with that idea... :thumbsup:

One thing to note, it will be more difficult or at least a bit strange to apply the front brake while you have your thumb on the throttle...

I will check those out as well...

well if I am going for the front break, then my thumb will be off the gas. I'm an intermediate and I don't think I will be in a situation where I will need front break and gas at the same time, so I think it should work fine. Also, quads have the same set up, front break and thumb on the same side, and it works for them.

that would be dum ,first of all,thumb trotle hurt you finger,the will look funy, if the trotle gets stuck you will have no way of pulling it back out (unlike twist), if you fall on it it will most likely snap off or get stuck pinned there for be a hazord because your foot might be under the tire, also IT MAKES NO SENSE

Damn if you're gonna be bashin someone's post/idea, learn to spell less like an absolute retard

haha... I seen that too, I figured it was just a kid who should of spent his parents money on extra reading/grammar lessons rather than a bike!

He also was bashing another thread about a guy looking for help with his YZ125, and it was written like a 3 year old too!

Hey Bobby if you would let me know how this works out for you when you get it done. I have thought about this many times myself but it is because I grew up on quads and had a hard time getting used to a twist and I still have trouble with it while standing.

Let me know please