Sign in to follow this  

HELP! fork Dilemma!!

Whats up guys? I kinda need some shock seal help.

I searched through old threads, and found quite a bit of info, but I’ll still stuck in a problem. Question is:

Does the fork tube separate from the fork “leg” (lower housing)? It does right? Probably sounds like a dumb question, but I cannot seem to figure out why they are still stuck together…

I removed the fork from the bike, removed part of the old seal to get to the snap ring…then I removed the snap ring, and more of the old seal. After doing that I figured the tube would easily slide completely out – but it didn’t!

So, I removed more of the seal…all the way down to what seems to be metal…But I’m hesitant to start sticking screwdrivers in the side an messing up the tube itself or the seat for the new seal.

Is there something I’ve overlooked? :ride:

How exactly do you remove that damn fork tube so it slides completely out? Do I actually slam the tube out? I thought about doing that…but I didn’t want to F it up. Is there 2 seals or something (one that I removed, and one that is still stuck in there below the snap ring?) :thumbsup:

Well thanks in advance for the help guys!

The damper assembly is holding it. Remove the hex bolt on the lower fork leg. Then a a pull or two on should do ya. Dale

The thing is…I already disconnected the damper assembly, and it’s still stuck. I haven’t tried slamming it out (like a slide hammer) because I didn’t know if I needed to. I’ll try when I get home tonight to give it a nice couple of pulls

x2 with the big pull. Just changed the seals on my 13 yo BMW, and it took a mighty pull to pop the seals because they were the tiniest bit corroded in. Double check the manual to make sure you haven't forgotten anything, then hoik away.