Sign in to follow this  

Anyone want to be a chase/support team for the Baja 1000 this year?

Hey guys,

A few of us from NC competed in, And loved the baja 1000 last year.

We basically shipped the bike to San Diego, flew out there and rented trucks, and headed South!

Well....this year is the 1000 miles all the way to bottom! So, truck rentals aren't really an option this year for us. We have considered driving our truck out there....but that leaves for an extra 10 days of driving to and from.

SOOOO.... I thought I would put it out there to see if you guys knew of, or wanted to yourselves, anyone that was planning on going to watch the 1000 this year...and might consider acting as a chase team for us!

We are still working on all the details....but as of now, we are planning on 5 riders and 0ne helper coming out with us. My wife and boys may also come out too...but she will probably just rent a car somewhere...she is wanting to stay in Cabo for a few extra days.

The basic responsibility of the chase truck is simple this year. Retrieve the riders on the way down to the finish line and bring them all back to San Diego.

You can email me at www.mitchtruett@hotmail.com

Thanks, Mitch

We would also love the idea of partnering up with someone wanting to race this year too ! If there are any guys that are thinking about taking it on...and can't find enough friends that agree with them! You should hear what some of the people over tell us....what-ever...we had a blast last year!

:thumbsup:

Thanks,

Mitch

Good idea to post here. I'd suggest racing class 30. Hate to see you buried in the back of the sportsman pack.

I'd suggest racing class 30. Hate to see you buried in the back of the sportsman pack.
And now with the Sportsman guys being required to use the Rally Track device (up 'till now only Pro classes used them) it makes even less sense to race in Sportsman.

The Tracker is fairly expensive to rent and now the $ amount of "money saved" between Pro and Sportsman has dwindled a bunch.

Starting earlier is way better, the Sportsmen don't get squat for credit, and the overall race cost is almost identical.

I think we raced 30 last year...3 of our riders were 34, one 38 and one 67. 3 of us want to come back this year as well.

Mitch

It's also MUCH easier to get sponsers behind you when they know you'll be in a Pro class. Better exposure for them.

As for Sponsors....I was actually shown two times in the NBC coverage of the Baja last year! :thumbsup:

of course....it was showing a rail buggy go flying by me while I was stareing at the helicopter wondering what they were looking at...and the comentadors words where "man, those motorcycle guys are crazy! It is dangerous for them out there!"

Yep, that's me...the poster child for slow! BUT...I was famous for a minute ! hehehe

As for Pre-running...we don't do pre-running...takes some of the challenge out of it!

I think it is plenty challenging out there. Ever been run over by a trophy truck or a class 1 car? Me either & don't want to find out how that is. Pre-running can lessen your chances of that happening by knowing where the course is fast or may be tough. You can build a strategy using your best riders through the tough stuff & hopefully stay out of their way. 1000 miles is a lot of room for them so catch you.

As for Pre-running...we don't do pre-running...takes some of the challenge out of it!

So much for the thought of wanting to "partner up" ... :ride:

Slow, and no pre-running?! Sounds like a 'back in the pack' team.

... good luck!

I think it is plenty challenging out there. Ever been run over by a trophy truck or a class 1 car? Me either & don't want to find out how that is. Pre-running can lessen your chances of that happening by knowing where the course is fast or may be tough. You can build a strategy using your best riders through the tough stuff & hopefully stay out of their way. 1000 miles is a lot of room for them so catch you.

HA!

Look at you...talking all big! You act like you've actually raced down there (or anywhere for that matter!!!)

What do you know about racing in BAJA? You probably never even seen a 5 open car...let alone dreamed of coming in 1st in one!

Gimme a break nexrace!

LOL!

whats up bro? just messin with ya!

keep the beer on ice 4-me! CYA !

HA!

Look at you...talking all big! You act like you've actually raced down there (or anywhere for that matter!!!)

What do you know about racing in BAJA? You probably never even seen a 5 open car...let alone dreamed of coming in 1st in one!

Gimme a break nexrace!

Wow, thems fightin' words. :thumbsup:

Gotta grab the popcorn before this gets too far into it!

Wow, thems fightin' words. :thumbsup:

Gotta grab the popcorn before this gets too far into it!

He's my buddy and yes he was just kidding. We are leaving for Mexico as soon as he gets here.

He's my buddy and yes he was just kidding. We are leaving for Mexico as soon as he gets here.

Figured that, just messing with you. Although, some of the more colorful debates are between "buddies". Have a fun ride if that's what you're doing.

Figured that, just messing with you. Although, some of the more colorful debates are between "buddies". Have a fun ride if that's what you're doing.

Yeah, thanks I sure we will. It's probably just me & him riding this weekend. He recently purchased a new 650L. I have a crf450. I was thinking that we might swap bikes for awhile so see how they are.

So much for the thought of wanting to "partner up" ...

Slow, and no pre-running?! Sounds like a 'back in the pack' team.

Well...the 3 of us that are coming are A riders here in the east...So, anytime we get on a bike...it is a race....BUT...we would rather come out there for the "experience". We were running top 10 last year (after 2 rear flats) and the bike quit about 70 miles from the finish...turns out it was a clogged air filter...which was a stupid mistake on my part :thumbsup:

...but, I have never experienced a clogged air filter before..??..we had changed it 5 times and the last one we put it was a K&N..which doesn't do well in the Baja...as we found out. I mis-diagnosed it as a stuck float...so after about 5 hours in the Desert....tinkering with my bike...I found the problem...limped it to the next pit and washed it out...had to let it dry and then dry again...my hopes of finishing under 30 hours was shot....so I didnt want to trash the motor too. It took me about 9 hours to go 70 miles!

As for the "not pre-running" ... I know we would all love too...but we all have a hard time getting out there for the week earlier that is needed to pre-run. As for the terrain...it is fairly easy for us...Not trying to knock anyone at all...but we usually average 17-19 mph in our races...so the terrain here is a lot more technical and harder to navigate. I will say this...the logistics of the Baja is tough as hell! We were still argueing about what to do up till 2: am the night before...and we still had a tough time keeping the chase trucks infront of the bikes at the right time...etc. All-in-all...it was a Blast! A Great Experience...and that is what we want again!

Thanks for the emails and responses too...I have replied to most with what we are expecting to do.

Mitch

I'm so confused..... :thumbsup:

No, the terrain in Baja races is not difficult for the most part. But the speed at which it's traveled makes it difficult.

Top 10 of what?

Baja speeds aren't everyones cup-o-tea just like eastern woods aren't. Summers came out here and found the 1000 wasn't his thing because of the speeds, and Campbell went back east years back and found out similar. Does it mean that certain region racers are better or more talented than others...? No, it doesn't.

Yes Mitch, please do elaborate on last years experience a bit more....

(kill my curiousity will ya!)

Top 10... off the start? First 50 feet? First 10 miles?

70 miles in 9 hours? Before the filter clog, or after?

What Race Mile did you make it to?

What race number and class were you last year?

I can look up the race times at each check and see just how well, or where you made it to. Should be interesting.

And... I was top 3 at RM 141 at the Baja 500... Top 3 overall! Running with 1X and 6X teams. However that doesn't mean SQUAT. We ended up 73rd overall!!! 13th in class of only 18 riders. Hence the reason it's "Baja" and a tough race. And yes, like Tim mentions ... the course isn't rough, as much at 15mph. But when you do a 15mph section at say... 45 or more, it's eye jiggling and bike abusing and that's what it takes to do well. BUT, to be able to do that speed through a slow section... YOU MUST pre-run!

Hence the reason I made the comment(s) I did... :ride:

Plus, I had been somewhat looking to ride with a team... (not too aggressive on my quest however) for the first 200 miles or so. But, I'd not race without a pre-run, and definitely not on a poorly prepped (due to lack of research) bike.

BTW, what bike did you ride at last years 1000?

Johnny J.