Sign in to follow this  

Fresh Water Tank

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the water tank on a toy hauler type trailer with a larger one? Mine is a 50 gallon, and I would like to move up to a 100 gallon tank. I am hoping this will not come down to needing to buy a whole new trailer to do this.

Thanks,

Jim

Depends on the trailer and how much room there is for another tank. If there's room it should not be a problem but watch your weight and balance since water is about 8 lbs to the gallon. Here's a link to a good source for tanks >

http://www.incaplastics.com/

They are definately replaceable. Take some measurements of your current tank and then see if you can fit a larger one in the same area. If so measure it and find one that will fit. If you need to, you can move the tank to a different location but be careful about the balance of the trailer.

Another option would be to buy another tank and haul it in your tv and pump out of it to refill your installed tank.

But before you do anything make sure you have the carrying capacity for more water.

As others have said, make sure you keep in mind the additional weight of the water.

It's 8.3 lbs per gallon or 62.4 lbs/ft^3, so increasing from 50 to 100 gallons would increase your weight by 417.3 lbs.

Depending upon where this is located on the trailer - over the axles or forward of them - it could change the tongue weight placed on the tow vehicle considerably.

Keep in mind the structural design of most thin wall tanks. Much over 50-60 gallons and they require a frame to be built around them so they won't deform or split under the weight of the water. 2 smaller tanks may be easier to do instead of 1 large one.

Keep in mind the structural design of most thin wall tanks. Much over 50-60 gallons and they require a frame to be built around them so they won't deform or split under the weight of the water. 2 smaller tanks may be easier to do instead of 1 large one.

Really? the 150 gallon one in my rage'n just has the perimeter frame.

If you can't find a tanks that fit you could always run pvc tubing, I have seen trailers that have used 4in. pipe run through out the top and sides. also below & between the frame rails..

But you do have a frame right? Usually a perimeter frame (box around all 4 sides) is all that is required on thin wall tanks like the rotomolded kind. Also, tanks are designed to be used in a particular orientation based on design. You always want the verticle walls of the tank to be the shorter and the wider surfaces to be parallel with the floor, unless you frame it.

I would also look at baffles in a tank that large. Half empty would allow a lot of weight to move rapidly and with a lot of force.

Unfortunately my trailer is not a "high end" trailer. I think I am going to start kicking around an upgrade. Something with bigger water tank, a few more feet of storage, etc. Sounds like it is time.

Thanks,

Jim

Don't trade just for a larger tank. Go for a secondary tank and tube it in to the water system. There are allot of options available.

I have a 100 gallons standard and it is two separate tanks. Wanderer Wagon 247WTB.

Just add another 50 gallon tank.