Sign in to follow this  

painting plastics???

i want my bike to have black plastics but only one company makes them (maier)there to much for me!!!! if i use kylon plastic paint and clear coat the shit out of em how will they look if i wreak?

has any1 done this before?

I would never paint plastic on something that sees such abuse.

Buy black plastic so it doesnt end up looking like crap after a few rides.

I painted both the side number plates and the front one. It turned out fairly well. I actually haven 't really fallen hard since but the paint does scratch off. I just touch it up once in a while. It is a lot cheaper to paint your plastics black than buy some. IMO

I've been thinking about painting my dads '99 XR100R red. The plastic is white, the tank is faded to brown. Yuck.

Personally, I think painting plastic is cheezy. No joke, but I did paint my front fender. How do I explain that? It was just something fun to do. That's all. The Fusion paint does work pretty good. The fender I painted was junk. I was going to throw it away because if you haven't noticed, any fall on the 150 looks like you did a header if you look at the front fender. It always gets beat up!

Anyway, if you could get the Maier fenders, it would look better, but it'll cost you an arm and a leg. The Fusion, however, will work good if you prep well. I still think it's cheezy, but since my bike is KTM orange, I figured it couldn't get much cheezier than that.

I was going to throw it away

Hey Tone, don't throw it away. Sand it down and put concrete sealer on it and you'll have it looking not too bad (in the origial color). I'm very slowly doing this to my extra set.

I still think it's cheezy, but since my bike is KTM orange, I figured it couldn't get much cheezier than that.

:thumbsup: Very punny!

using krylon fusion on my TTR worked fine. very durable. i just light clear coated it. no scratches. only thing that effects it is gasoline spill form the tank. looked great. if you dont have cash for plastics, go ahead.

awesomo, i didnt paint my 250X....its acerbis replacements. only one i painted was the TTR. the X gets the $$$ treatment. you know that!!!!

I painted my front fender on the 150. It held up well until I traded bikes with my friend and roosted him and the bike with the 250f. The rocks and dirt made little scratches but can be retouched

Krylon Fusion works the best

using krylon fusion on my TTR worked fine. very durable. i just light clear coated it. no scratches. only thing that effects it is gasoline spill form the tank. looked great. if you dont have cash for plastics, go ahead.

awesomo, i didnt paint my 250X....its acerbis replacements. only one i painted was the TTR. the X gets the $$$ treatment. you know that!!!!

The fusion works great, unless you spill gas on it. So, if you do a tank, be real careful when refueling. One little drop is all it takes.

BTW, not sure if this has ever been covered here or not but the Mr Clean magic eraser (my wife bought some for the house) works awesome at removing scuff marks, etc on plastics.

Hey Tone, don't throw it away. Sand it down and put concrete sealer on it and you'll have it looking not too bad (in the origial color). I'm very slowly doing this to my extra set.

Oh no. Actually, that silly fender is what made me think about changing the colors on my bike. It's not bent. It's just scratched all over the top. It looks like I've been over the bars a lot. I was going to just get a KTM fender and make it fit, but I thought it would be more fun to just change things a lot.

I wasn't about to buy a whole assortment of fenders. I don't care about it that much. It's just something to keep me out of trouble.

When I get some spare time, my bike's going to have a graphic overhaul. Soon you will see a 50th Anniversary Yamaha. I grew up worshipping Bob Hannah. I figured it would only be fitting to do it. Where that yellow paint!!!! :thumbsup: I mean, come on. I have to do something to the bike and I think I've pretty much covered everything possible short of making it a 250.

I think it would like crap after you went down a few times, but if touching up works well go for it. I like the look of the black on a bike or even Tapout's white looks good, but damn the plastic is expensive to go beat the hell out of it.

no, it doesnt scratch much belive it or not. i came back on the rear fender a few time on that TTR and the paint still look perfect. only thing that takes it off is gasoline.