Sign in to follow this  

f450x shock lowering

I need to lower my 450x about an inch, I've thought about the kouba link, and raising the forks in the clamps. But looking at the shock clevis I don't see why I can drill another hole 1 inch higher than stock, there seems to be plenty of room/clearance left on the clevis, If it works out, I would cut off the remaining underhanging clevis. Does anyone see a problem doing this?

I don't think you will have enough clearance under the clevis, if you try this...........IF it was that easy, nobody would need a Kouba link...The Kouba and Storm link will do it and not ruin any expensive parts in the meantime !

Well, I have a complete spare shock, and the worst case i would need a new clevis. There is definetly enough room under the clevis. If I move the hole up one inch, there is still plenty of room for the linkage to clear as it rotates.

yes, the seat is an easy option, however I find that the seat to peg distance is already a little cramped. I got the durelle gel seat, and that is about an inch lower but I did not like it for two reasons, 1: not very soft on a long enduro or trail ride and too wide 2: really made the seat to peg distance too much. I would actually prefer a taller seat if I could touch the ground better.

I'm trying to figure this out also and just ordered the durrell seat. Is I'm probably going with the link also this weekend. It's all for my dad who is a bigger rider but not agressive so I don't think he'll even notice the link messing up the geometry. Right now it's pretty much just learning to go from point A to B.

Why doesn't anyone ever mention buying smaller wheels and tires? It seems like an easy fix thats kind of cheap that doesn't mess up the suspension. Will smaller wheels just hurt performance in sand and rocks? Why is it a bad idea?

Why doesn't anyone ever mention buying smaller wheels and tires? It seems like an easy fix thats kind of cheap that doesn't mess up the suspension. Will smaller wheels just hurt performance in sand and rocks? Why is it a bad idea?

To gain 1" lower you will have to have a 16" on the rear, and a 19" one the front. I really think that will cost you more than the Link. And you won't look as funny.

I guess some people like the Link... But Itried it and did not. I found it to emphasize the existing problems with the front end. My personal experience is that this bike is very responsive to adjustment inputs and the kuba link makes a large change that significantly effects the bikes handling characteristics.

I too suffer with the seat height and I wanted to lower the suspension because the Kuba didn't work 4 me. I was advised by the suspension people not to lower the suspension because of other adverse effects. :ride:

At this point I have just come to the conclusion that it is what it is. I think that the 450 is just too heavy for most riders. Not so much so the static weight but more so it's rotating weight. these things make a huge difference in the bikes overall characteristics. I agree lowering the bike would greatly help, but at what price? :thumbsup:

The 450's have much more mass moving around than with smaller bikes, larger crank, rod, larger clutch, bigger piston...ect. Just think about holding that bicycle tire Axel as the tire rotates, and the gyroscopic effects. :applause: