Sign in to follow this  

Hard to kick with HotCams?

Anyone else run into this problem? After I had the headwork done at Forward Motion, they had sent me a set of HotCams to go along with it. After installing the cams I had noticed it was very hard to kick it over (as if there was no compression release). Just a couple of weeks ago, I put the stock cams back in just to test the power difference. WOW!!! It is SO easy to kick and would start with no more than 2~3 kicks! Well, I put the HotCams back and made sure the de-compression (uh-hem) "thingy" was not sticking and, sure enough, back to being REALY hard to kick.

I am 6' tall and weigh 200lbs and I need to stand on a crate to get a good kick on this thing. To top it all off, with the slow and difficult kicking motion, it will not start right away, whereas it would with the stock cams. If I blip the throttle to help it some... FORGET IT!!! I can hardly get it to kick all of the way through.

Anyone have a problem with HotCams?

By the way, I LOVE my '05 RMZ250!

Check and make sure that the spring on the comp. release is on right.

The weight should spring to the center on the cam.

I have hot cams in my son's bike And it kicks easy like stock.

I would check to see that each cam spins freely in the head back and forth between the lobs, i.e. maybe the cam has a dragging bearing. Could either be the ball bearings on the cam (load may make a differnce on the ball bearing end) or that you don't have a tolerance issue with the cams in the head/cap bearing end of the cam also.

When I overtightened the stock cam in one of our bikes, it became VERY hard to kick once the bearing started to go. We now have Hot Cams in it and have had no problems. Love the power from the Hot Cams.

I wouldn't expect it to kick that hard even without the decompression. Sounds like it kicks harder than my old DRZ-400 without decompression.

OK, here's the scoop. I called they boys over at HotCams and told them what was happening. They told me to send the cam back to them as they have seen this problem before and they may need to give me a new cam. :thumbsup: Looks like I'll be on the stockers for a little while. My RMZ also has the Ice Cube 276cc cylinder and I think that may boost the compression up a tad. So yeah, I need all the help I can get kicking it over. :ride:

i had this problem with mine after i fitted the 290 kit just the same as you fitted the std cams and it started fine, wot i found was the hole were the decompreser fits in the cam is biger on the hot cam than the std cam so it wasent working propley . got a new auto decompreser lever thinge and when i mesured it the old one had worn a bit fitted the new one and problem cured

OH, I see! So you didn't contact HotCams about the problem then. You just fixed it yourself. Hmmm, I wonder if they would have sent you another cam? I hope you will not have to replace the de-compression device more often than normal because of that. They did say it was a very small difference. We'll see!