Sign in to follow this  

1/4 Turn Throttle Mod?

Hey guys, I have a KLX250S. I am really getting tired of almost crashing due to the throttle turn being so long on this bike. I have done a search and the 1/4 turn throttle mod at planetKLX.com pops up. However, when I go there I can not find the mod. I am not saying that it is not there as I have been known to not be able to find things right under my nose. I get the gist of what to do, but I don't want to screw anything up. Any help would be much appreciated. Any 1/4 aftermarket throttles that are known to work with the stock carb would also be okay. I have had too many close calls in the last few weeks because on the long throttle pull. I need some help!!! :thumbsup: Thanks.

I just went over there and couldn't find it either. You might email the webmaster of Planetklx.com - Billy Dean - and ask him if he has it. There used to be pics & a description. It's actually pretty simple to do but difficult to explain in type. Good luck. Bill

I had also done the throttle mod listed on Planetklx. Like Bill said it is easy to do with a picture but difficult to explain. The mod did help some for me but I was still not satisfied and it also produced a little binding in my throttle cables that I could never figure out. My solution was to put on a single cable two stroke throttle with a much shorter throw that has worked out wonderfully for me. There are many different throttle pulls to choose from.

dazjr,

I've got to hop on board with your throttle disgust also. I hate the throttle on my 300! I don't think it's directly contributed to any of my spills but it just wears out my wrist and you constantly have to readjust your hand position if you stand up/sit down. The Kawi dealers were all trying to sell me a Motion Pro single cable setup, but I need to research like you. Anyone tried the above mentioned setup? It's got the big circular casting on top of the throttle housing and goes for about 37.00 at Kawi for the whole kit. Sorry, but don't have a part # to throw out there.

dazjr-hope you don't mind me jumping in here like this :thumbsup:

I had also done the throttle mod listed on Planetklx. Like Bill said it is easy to do with a picture but difficult to explain. The mod did help some for me but I was still not satisfied and it also produced a little binding in my throttle cables that I could never figure out. My solution was to put on a single cable two stroke throttle with a much shorter throw that has worked out wonderfully for me. There are many different throttle pulls to choose from.

It binds because the pull cable travels less than the return cable after the mod.

dazjr,

I've got to hop on board with your throttle disgust also. I hate the throttle on my 300! I don't think it's directly contributed to any of my spills but it just wears out my wrist and you constantly have to readjust your hand position if you stand up/sit down. The Kawi dealers were all trying to sell me a Motion Pro single cable setup, but I need to research like you. Anyone tried the above mentioned setup? It's got the big circular casting on top of the throttle housing and goes for about 37.00 at Kawi for the whole kit. Sorry, but don't have a part # to throw out there.

dazjr-hope you don't mind me jumping in here like this :thumbsup:

If you can get a whole kit for $37, buy it! I had a custom cable made by Terry Cable to go with a Magura 314 throttle to work with a Mikuni TM33 carb for ~$50 for the throttle & cable. They sent the wrong cable the first time, and I didn't install the second one until several months later and realized the other one didn't fit well either but it all works now.

dazjr,

Ok, I bit the bullet and purchased the motion pro vortex throttle PN 01-0054 I had mentioned above and................IT WORKS! Only mod needed was to remove the adjuster and about 3/4 " of the original "pull" cable's sleeve from the throttle grip end to allow more cable to be fed into the throttle. I completely removed the "push" cable since there's nothing for it to go to now. I figure the throttle movement is reduced by 1/3 so is much better on the old wrist and fore arm. Cost me 40.00 total. Also need the brass adjuster that fits the new throttle housing as the original's is too small. Only place on line that I could find it easily is Motion Pro's website. HTH

Edit: Duh, thumpertalk has them too.

D_C- my mistake in stating that it was a complete throttle kit. I meant just the twist grip assembly with no cables. :thumbsup:

dazjr,

Ok, I bit the bullet and purchased the motion pro vortex throttle PN 01-0054 I had mentioned above and................IT WORKS! Only mod needed was to remove the adjuster and about 3/4 " of the original "pull" cable's sleeve from the throttle grip end to allow more cable to be fed into the throttle. I completely removed the "push" cable since there's nothing for it to go to now. I figure the throttle movement is reduced by 1/3 so is much better on the old wrist and fore arm. Cost me 40.00 total. Also need the brass adjuster that fits the new throttle housing as the original's is too small. Only place on line that I could find it easily is Motion Pro's website. HTH

Edit: Duh, thumpertalk has them too.

D_C- my mistake in stating that it was a complete throttle kit. I meant just the twist grip assembly with no cables. :thumbsup:

Excellent info!

Do you have the part number for the brass adjuster? I want to order everything at one time. The throttle, sleeve and adjuster.

richfactor,

I don't have a part # for that piece. The parts counter guy reached into a bag of them and said I'd need one. I'd call/email motion pro directly if in doubt. This throttle is SO much nicer to ride with! Actual twist range is about 50-60 degrees total.