Sign in to follow this  

Post jet/airbox MPG - Yowzer!

Installed my jet kit a month ago along with the airbox mod. Per Jesse's advice I went with a 155 main and stock pipe - didn't really need a lot more punch, mostly wanted to smooth and possibly cool things a bit. Overall pleased with the results. Some airbox roar but also a noticeable increase in power - especially mid-range. Not exactly a fire breather, but didn’t feel/sound as much like it had tuberculosis. DR had about 800 miles on it when I installed the kit so I didn’t yet have a good feel for gas consumption - figured I wouldn’t worry about it until things were broken in. Near as I could tell mileage was around 50 mpg.

Did about 500 miles in the Ozark mountains last weekend. A lot of blacktop, some off-road. Not road burning, but at no point was I going easy on the throttle. Through the translucent sides of my cool new IMS I could see that the fuel was holding up pretty well. With gas prices the way they are, I was going to feel pretty stupid if my mileage dropped way down for some extra punch I really didn’t need. Just filled the tank. After careful figuring it looks like my mileage went UP to just under 59 mpg!!

Bike now has almost 2000 miles, so some increase can be attributed to break-in. I don’t ride as hard as when I was younger, but again, I wasn’t trying to squeeze out every drop. My buddy got similar on his well broken-in KLR. Are we a lot slower than we think? Anyone else had this happen? I was thinking I’d continue to tweak, but now I’m afraid to mess with it!

Awesome..congrats! (And leave it alone now :thumbsup: )

I get 40mpg no matter how I ride. it goes like a bitch but ..hmmmmm; I need more mpg.

(150 mikuni, .030 shimmed stock needle, snorkle out, Supertrapp) Any ideas guys? Thanks

Everyday avg. 50 mpg. Ride hard get less, take it easy get more.

150 mikuni jet,DJ needle 3 from top,1 1/4 out on screw, air box mod, stock muffler

i've always gotten very high 30's in stock form but with a 15/47 sprocket.....i just put on a 49 rear so hopefully it wont drop too much....i've got knobbies on there so that doesnt help....never rode it with the stock 42 tooth rear and dont know how anyone can't stand it being so tall....

Riding easy, back-and-forth to work, I was getting about 58mpg with the stock set-up. I just put in a 155 Dynojet, and the bike is not only more responsive, but it has a quieter and much nicer sound. I don't know what that did to my fuel mileage, but I also went from the 15/42 stock sprockets to a 15/45. The bike doesn't have to work hard at all now. I think this is the perfect combination, but I don't know what it has done to my fuel consumption. I figure if I don't run it at 70mph, then it won't be affected much. It's 100+ degrees here so I'm not riding to work these days. Will send a post when I fill up next time.

i have a 98 dr350se with a 132.5 main shimmed needle air box cut and a cobra pipe i get 60 plus mpg as long as i dont go in the woods !!!