Sign in to follow this  

Fork vise work arounds?

Getting ready to do some work on my front forks and in the Motopowervideo fork video (great video!) then sued a special wood block in a vice combo to hold forks. I dont have such a nice vice. Any tips on how else to hold forks tight for working on them?

use lower clamp to hold tube??

You can make some aluminum vice jaws for pretty cheap (assuming you have a vice - you didn't say)

use lower clamp to hold tube??

You can make some aluminum vice jaws for pretty cheap (assuming you have a vice - you didn't say)

I think for using the seal remover tool you are bangin kind of hard; not sure I want to do that in the lower forks. I dont have a benchtop vice at all.

you don't necessarily need a vice but it makes things much much easier.

maybe you think about buying one. a simple one isn't that expensive at all.

50 bucks from Harbor Freight gets you a nice 6" vise that the head rotates on the spindal and then add some Alum jaws and it's like gold. Best investment you can get for the home work shop.

you don't necessarily need a vice but it makes things much much easier.

maybe you think about buying one. a simple one isn't that expensive at all.

Yep, good point. Will do. Thanks gents.

I think for using the seal remover tool you are bangin kind of hard; not sure I want to do that in the lower forks. I dont have a benchtop vice at all.

What do you mean by "seal remover tool"??

I have a vise with aluminum jaws. It has come in quite handy for working on forks and shocks. If you get a vise, be sure to get some aluminum jaws / jaw faces / soft jaws so that it will not gouge the parts you work on.

In general, a workbench and vise have turned out to be used for a LOT of various projects, not just dirt bike related.

If you are a Craftsman Club member, the 6" vise is about to go on sale for $50.

This tool is for installing the seal, not removing!

But even so, way too expensive and i don't like the metal ones.

imho best choice is a hard plastic, called POM (don't know what you call it in english)

a_gunslinger, like frezno said, that tool is for installing the seal (and outer bushing).

Check out the Race Tech site just to look at their tools. It will give you an idea of what is available, and what can be used for what.

I'm not really partial to putting fork parts into a vice, unless it you can evenly distribute the load and you know it's not in excess of the force that the tube can take.

I mean, to hold something in place, gingerly, is fine, but be real careful about what you're doing as well as what's going to happen when you apply any sort of load to it.

I'm not really partial to putting fork parts into a vice, unless it you can evenly distribute the load and you know it's not in excess of the force that the tube can take.

I mean, to hold something in place, gingerly, is fine, but be real careful about what you're doing as well as what's going to happen when you apply any sort of load to it.

In the MPV video, they used a homemade wood version of a special fork vice jig that essentially did that.

I got a set of urethane vice jaws at Home Depot that are awesome. You can clamp down pretty dog gone tight without leaving a mark or bending anything and you dont have to clamp that hard because the urethane grips pretty good.

I've got one of those Harbor Frieght/Home depot 6 inch bench vices with a rotating head...It was like 28 bucks...When you mount your vice make sure you mount it shallow enough so the back jaw will allow things to drop below the bench edge. :thumbsup: