Sign in to follow this  

Road Bug

Lately I have really been getting the bug to ride the XR on the road, not that I haven't a little bit but I would like to a little more without the worries of getting a ticket, how hard is it to convert a 400 to street legal and how much money are we talking about. I have even been thinking about a street bike instead but I don't want to get rid of my XR. I don't think the wife will go for 2 bikes.

Any advise and or info is appreciated.

I would search www.advrider.com under "thumpers". There are several MO guys who post regularly and would be able to answer your question.

It all depends on how legal you want to go. If you want to use your stock headlight, you can convert you tail light to a brake light via the Gortmaker mod, buy some turnsignals and a handlebar switch, some wire and run it all off your headlight lead for about $150 including all the parts, brake light switch, mirror, license plate lightetc.

I have a Baja Designs kit on one XR400 and my home made kit on another XR400 and neither has ever given me a problem.

It just depends on how legal you want to be. In other words do you really want or need a battery? Do you really need the high beam?

$500 for the dual sport kit.

$100ish in DMV fees

Riding on the road... nevermind, thats too cliche. Lets just say its a lot of fun.

I save the money elsewhere, like insurance ($160 a YEAR) and gas.

I converted mine (see my Garage).. I did it the right way.. About $500 for the kit from Baja Designs... About the only other thing you will need depending on your state is a mirror and DOT tires...

You can do it the "cheap" way by moding your head light and taillight etc... But you will have a big headache with the wiring and batteries and such... The kit makes it simple and quick... Only thing to remember is thier kit comes with a drop down LED taillight... In order to use it, you need a MX style rear fender... If you don't want to add the extre $50 for the fender, make sure you get the standard taillight in your kit... Call them up, thier great guys and will answer all your Q's and even build a custom kit for you if you want...

Another problem with the "cheap" way is when you get it inspected to get a street legal title, they could get very picky and not pass it due to the lights not being DOT approved...

If you do convert it, you'll wonder why you didn't do it long ago.. It is awesome being able to zoom down the trails then hop on a road to get gas or eat or whatever... Plus if you have CCC trails (cross country cycle/dual sport cycles only) like we do here, thier 100 X's better and smoother... No quads or MXers allowed... :thumbsup:

that works, but like I said... If your inspector is pickey, your lights are not DOT and you won't pass... Here a cop does the inspection so I had my buddy (a cop) do mine...

But first you need to look up your states requirements for a motorcycle to be street legal... Then look into the parts you need... :thumbsup:

As for my taillight, I used the stock taillight and stuck some teardrop shaped blinkers on there. Theyre pretty big and very bright, but probably wont get ripped off too easily if I crash. I mounted my license plate right on the stock fender under the taillight. Easy for anybody to see from behind. It might not all be DOT, but its functional and I havent been stopped yet.

-edit-

1000 posts!

Thanks for all the info guys I really appreciate it. I will let you know how it turns out.