Sign in to follow this  

Concrete Starts

i gotta quick question or sugestions on how to do a concrete start. im quite good at regular dirt starts i raced twice this year and got 3 outa 4 holeshots on a regular dirt gate start. i have a race commin up soon with a concrete start and i have never done one before, and i was wondering if u guys had any sugestion's?? i have holeshots but i heard not to use them on concrete. well just let me know what u guys have to say.

i gotta quick question or sugestions on how to do a concrete start. im quite good at regular dirt starts i raced twice this year and got 3 outa 4 holeshots on a regular dirt gate start. i have a race commin up soon with a concrete start and i have never done one before, and i was wondering if u guys had any sugestion's?? i have holeshots but i heard not to use them on concrete. well just let me know what u guys have to say.
I just finished a riding class last week, instructor's tips for concrete starts were:

1. no holeshot device

2. less throttle

3. butt in the usual spot, but sit up a little straighter than you would on a dirt start, as you cross the gate and get onto the dirt, you may need to lean forward to keep the front end from coming up.

This works for me on my 2 stroke:

I bring the throttle to about a 1/4, ease off the clutch enough to feel it touch, but NOT lift the back of the bike while holding the front brake. When the gate drops, full throttle, release front brake and release clutch all at one time. If you eased off the clutch enough to lift the back of the bike up while setting there, there will be no "planting of the tire" when you let go of the clutch because the back of the bike is already separated. Ease off just enough to fill it touch, so when you let go of the clutch and the back of the bike separates, it will help plant the tire. On my 450, I just roll off the gate in 3rd and nail it when I hit the dirt. Any way it works for me, everybody has different methods. Practice

i do everything the same except i dont lean forward as much, i still lean forward bust not as much, and i still start in second gear , throttle about 3/4

if ya can afford it fdo a a bit of a brun out to make ur tires sticky :thumbsup: no holshot device either um sit a bit straight but u as the guy said b4 u might want to lean into it but w/e works for u do it