Sign in to follow this  

CRF250X Hesitation & Stall

Just got a new 2005 CRF250X a few weeks ago. Performs great, but having a few issues:

1) Have to choke it to start; even on a hot (95 deg) day

2) Have to leave choke engaged for several minutes or it will stall

3) When I grab a brunch of throttle (WOT) engine hesitates for a portion of a second; I can actually accelerate quicker using 3/4 throttle than full throttle, but after initial hesitation it takes off. Hesitation occurs in nuetral and while in gear.

4) Enginge stalls very easily while in nuetral when throttling

Does it sound like its too lean? What's the best fix?

Welcome to the 250X forum!

For those that have been here for a while this is going to sound like a broken record but................check your valves. At 55 hours my valves were all within spec. At 60 hours all were out of spec and the right side intake was at -0-. I was having to mess with the throttle to get it started and any type of low RPM grunting in the tight woods or hill it would kill. Took the bike home after the ride, washed it, and it wouldn't start. Thumpertalk gurus & CRF250X groupies rule of thumb > "Check the valves".

After reshimming - one revolution start, running strong again.

I have read a couple posts that have eluded to the fact that the valves may even be out of spec from the factory.

This may not be your issue, but I'd check anyway. See the How to check and Adjust the valves on your 250 (w/Pics) sticky at the top of this form for assistance.

Good Luck, keep us posted on your progress.

If this is a "NEW" X order a JD jetting kit and follow his recommendations. Works great at getting rid of the bog and it should start easier. These bikes are very lean from the factory.

Do check the valves, for a baseline reading if new, and to verify condition of the engine if used.

Keep up on the oil changes, keep the air filter clean, get grease on all the bearings, check your spokes and enjoy your new :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback. I will check the valves. The info on "How to check and Adjust the valves on your 250 (w/Pics)" is great; much better than the manual.

I bought the bike new (2005 still on the shelf). I got a deal I couldn't refuse $4995 (from an authorized HONDA dealer) after HONDA incentives. I have only put 50 miles on it and the symptoms I described were present when I got it. I was wondering if the problem was as simple as a lean mixture and could be solved by carb. pilot screw adjustment. I was thinking that this may solve the idling and starting problems, but throttle hesitation involved internal carb adjustments. What do you guys think?

I'm not against a jetting kit; I just feel like this shouldn't be happening right off the shelf. Is this common?

I have yet to talk to one person who did not rejet a 250x. They are way lean from the factory. Like sledrider mentioned, the easiest way to fix most of the bog is get a JD jet kit.

with the heat, you really need to re-jet.

If it's new with only 50 miles on it, it probably had some old gas still in it, or old gas that gunked up the carb a bit. Clean the carb when you re-jet. drain all the old gas and only use "good" premium - from a station where the delivery truck actually says "Mobil", "Sunoco" or "Shell" on the side of it, not "Acme Fuel Transport"

Mine starts hard on old (2-3 weeks) gas and pings on cheap fuel. If I miss a weekend of riding, I drain the fuel tank and put it in the lawnmower and start with fresh, premium fuel.

The bike will bog when the throttle is twisted in neutral. Just about all 4-strokes will do this. However, when in gear thats a different story. Best guess would be a fuel screw adjustment. Minor adjustments pay big dividens in returns. As far as starting goes, this is a cold running bike. The first start will always, with my bike, require the choke. However, when warmed, choke shouldn't be necessary. As all the others are telling you, this bikes comes from the factory very lean. In Cal. thats in order to get a green sticker and to pass smog stuff. It is a whole different bike when jetted properly.

If you do get the JD kit buy the one with the AP o ring or just go to the CRF450R forum and look up Ridiculus throttle response that's a how to 0 dollar mod that is worth well over $150 from a shop. You can do it it's very simple just take your time and do it right the 1st time. You should ritchen up the bike a little what altitude are you at?

Thanks for all of the advise. It sounds like the JD Jetting Kit is the way to go. This weekend I'm going to adjust the carb. pilot screw, just to experiment; then order the jetting kit. I will post my results afterward.

Thanks.

Good luck. I will also be installing a JD kit on my KX250F over the weekend. It was a great mod for my X.

Just take your time and don't over-tighten the main jet.....the SNAP easily if you over-tourque 'em (found out the hard way).

My bike performed exactly like yours. I installed the JD jetting kit and that fixed it. I also bought a ZipTy fuel screw because of the change in temperature and humidity between the four seasons.