Sign in to follow this  

old 426 vs 450

Getting back into riding, had a 426 years ago. It was a big mistake and kicked me ass everywhere, I weigh about 205, 5'10". I went to a 250F and loved it, needed a little more power but i could handleit alot better.

Now I've got the itch again after 4 yrs of riding. How does the 450F differ as to the old 426, besides weighing less? Should i still stick with a newer 250F or a KX250F(2006)

Mook I am in the same boat as you. Had a 426 and just thought it was to big and heavy expecially in the woods. Purchased a 02 YZ250F and have tons more fun. If you loved the 250F I would get the 250F and a big bore kit. Do a search and you will find a ton of info.

450's may be lighter, but they have a lot more power than a 426. They can be hard to hang on to if you're used to a 250f. I've been back and forth a few times, I stick with a 250f now, just because i have more fun on it.

thanks guys, was thinking the same as you but been out of the loop for a while. Now I'm just having a hard time trying to find a good used one

They're just entirely different bikes. I have a 426 and love it but I have quite a few mods like race tech suspension, triple tree and bar, FMF muffler and powerbomb header, ect, ect. It had stock suspension when I first bought it and it beat the hell out of me too. I also have a KLX300 with race tech suspension, pumper carb, FSW header, ect, ect. The KLX will keep up with the WR in all but the wide open throttle stuff and the KLX will spank the WR in the really tight stuff. The WR426 is a big dirt bike and the WR250 isn't. It just depends on what kind of riding you like to do and how good a rider you are. The stock suspension on the newer WR450's is a LOT better than the 426's and I think that makes a much bigger difference than the little bit of weight difference.

You should definitely stick with the newer 250F's. The new 450's are a handful. You mentioned that you're going to have a hard time finding one used. With the 2007's coming out in October, you should be able to get an incredible deal on the 2006's.

Just a thought.

If you are thinking '03-'05, then yes, they're lighter than the 426, and a lot of fun, but in the case of the '03 and '04, the power delivery makes them a handful, and you need to stay mentally and physically ahead of the bike to the extent that it can be tiring. The '05 is gentler, but still heavy feeling, and without the snap, it's just not as much fun. Some of all of this can be corrected to some extent.

But if you are thinking of an '06, well, that's another story altogether. It is actually every bit as strong as an '03, but the power is delivered in a much more manageable fashion, and the bike feels 20 pounds lighter than your 250F! It's unbelievably easy to ride, and has to be the most neutral handling, predictable, responsive MX bike I've been on that I can remember. If you thought the 250F was more fun than the 426, but you want the muscle that only comes with displacement, go with an '06 YZ450. :thumbsup:

If you are thinking '03-'05, then yes, they're lighter than the 426, and a lot of fun, but in the case of the '03 and '04, the power delivery makes them a handful, and you need to stay mentally and physically ahead of the bike to the extent that it can be tiring. The '05 is gentler, but still heavy feeling, and without the snap, it's just not as much fun. Some of all of this can be corrected to some extent.

But if you are thinking of an '06, well, that's another story altogether. It is actually every bit as strong as an '03, but the power is delivered in a much more manageable fashion, and the bike feels 20 pounds lighter than your 250F! It's unbelievably easy to ride, and has to be the most neutral handling, predictable, responsive MX bike I've been on that I can remember. If you thought the 250F was more fun than the 426, but you want the muscle that only comes with displacement, go with an '06 YZ450. :thumbsup:

Gray, I didn't realize you're mounted on an '06 450. Cool. I think I'm going to stay 250 mounted as i like being the underdog on big tracks and so far I've managed to stay out of the ER on the PW50 as my riding bud's call my sled!

But if you are thinking of an '06, well, that's another story altogether. It is actually every bit as strong as an '03, but the power is delivered in a much more manageable fashion, and the bike feels 20 pounds lighter than your 250F!
The '06 yzf450 definitely feels much lighter than previous year yzf 450s. But, I disagree that it feels lighter than a yzf250. I rode a friend's stock '06 yzf450 back-to-back with my stock '05 yzf250. I definitely liked the bike far better than the older 450s and 426s. But, for now, I still prefer the lighter and more flickable feel of the 250.