Sign in to follow this  

The 143 project has begun!!!

So I have finally started the 143 project...

This will include a Wiseco 4mm over-boar piston, a Hot cam, HD clutch springs, and a 26mm mikuni carbie. Also Some more engine work may be done.

8/6/06-Well me and my dad have pulled the entire engine from the frame and now the bike is just a rolling chassis. We decided to take it to a friend of ours who is a prof. mech. and have him do the project b/c my dad has very little experience on a 4-stroke , but plenty on a 2 stroke engine. Our only trouble came when we couldn't get the shaft (bolt) from out of the swingarm to take it off the engine, while we have it apart I'm going to grease all the needle bearings and bushings.

8/7/06-We have delivered the engine to him and he has begun the tearing down process. He told my dad to order some new valve springs b/c the bike is 3 yrs old, also he is going to replace the valve seals also (he already has a pair at his shop).

8/8/06- The mechanic has already bored the engine, installed the piston, and has replaced the head. Now he has to wait on the valve springs (wow he's fast). He also is now going to polish the ports and clean up the head..awesome I cant wait to get the bike back later on this week :thumbsup::ride:

I'll have more updates soon about further work, break-in, and a ride report.

Nice Suzook.

The motor is really very simple to work on. As far as 4 stroke designs go the DR-DRZ motor is about as simplistic as they come. My rebuild took about 8 hours total, 4 hours to take the top end down and 4 hours or so to re-assemble. The hard part was the 3 week wait to get the bore machined to match the piston and rings.

What all are you having done to your head? I assume this is what you mean by more motor work since your piston and jug are back in.

Our progress has been held up a little. The valve springs are still not in... :ride::applause::applause::applause: So we have to wait for them... :applause: We have to get the motor done and fully broken in b/c my last race of the season in on the 20th.

How does this break in procedure sound:

For the first 5 hours I will ride the bike around not letting it idle (the hotcam) and not winding it out. Ill take it through the gears but Ill probably take it no further than 1/3 throttle. After 5 hours Im going to change the oil and then ride it for about 3 more hours not going over 1/2 throttle. Then after that I think Im pretty much done w/ break in. what kind of break in procedure did you guys do? Does mine sound ok?? :thumbsup:

oh and wooht, He's just going to clean up the head, and polish the intake and exhaust ports.BTW for all of this he is oly charging $100 dollars :thumbsup::ride:

Good luck DRZSuzook in the break in time.

after the mechanic installed the hotcam on my bike

i noticed a loss of pwoer .. it happens just 1 time

then all went O.K

wish you best of luck , and keep updating :thumbsup:

8/11/06- I finally got the valve springs in... :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: ...three days late. I quickly delivered them to him and he said he will have the engine ready 1pm tomorrow (eastern time). I took a look at the engine, the engine looked like new (I'm glad I kept up on maintenance) I compared stock cams and hotcams, the lobes on the hotcam are about 4mm longer, wow. The dome on the wiseco is huge compared to the stock. He polished the ports and now i can see myself in them :thumbsup: I cant wait to get this thing on the bike. Ill have more updates tomorrow. :ride:

8/12/06-Finally

We picked up the engine at 1:00pm today. We found out of some other goodies that he did to the engine. He used a dremmel tool to open up the exhaust port, and he polished them even more... :applause: . And he did another thing that Im siked about. He "tuliped" the valves, taking a hemispherical (hemi, like a dodge hemi) half circle of materail out of the plunger part of the valve; this will lighten the valves, increase compression, and makes the combustion of the engine more uniform and powerful. I got in the 26mm powroll carb and the HD valve springs in the bike. I cleaned it up and its ready to go. Im going to start it for the first time tomorrow... :applause::thumbsup::applause::ride::applause::applause:

I CANT WAIT>>> :applause:

8/13/06- I started the bike for the first time today. Started on the fourth kick. It roared to life and sounded more powerful. I let it warm up and took it around the house. I then took it in the woods and putted around with it I didn't open it up yet I was going to get an hour on it then take wOOht's advice on the break in process. My dad took it for a ride and came back pushing it. he said it became really noisy and stopped running it. We call our mechanic and he said its not the valves but the cam sprocket. We took it too him and sure enough it was. The cam sprocket bolts weren't tight enough. It did no damage and we tightened them (more loctite too). We put it together and adjusted the valves (just a hair loose). We jetted it and brought it home. I got to ride it a little harder after that and saw that the mods yielded great power increases. It accelerates harder and faster, and pulls much harder. The rear wheel spins alot and wants to slide in corners like crazy. It has alot of midrange power and more topend. Bottom end improved a little and has more torque. In second gear it will pull power wheelies without using the clutch. After I break it in a little more I will really top it out and tell you how much faster it is. :thumbsup:

wOOht, how long till your did first valve adjustment (how many hours) after the Piston, and cam... Also I have a jetting question. At top end it breaks up alot, Im thinking I need to go up on size on the main jet am I correct?? (PS its a 26mm carb)