Sign in to follow this  

XR50 on trails

Hey,

Does anyone here have experience with their kid riding an XR50 on trails?

We currently have a PW50 which will not pull hills worth a d$mn.

Is the XR better? More low end torque?

The little XR50 will climb hills like a billy goat compared to the single speed PW50!

The only thing to remember is that they have pretty low ground clearance. A group of us went out on the trails on Saturday. Me (YFZ450), my buddy (RM125), his boy (RM65) and my boy (XR70). All on the same trail. My boy hit a stump that was only a few inches off the ground that the rest of us cleared. His shift lever wacked it, causing it to bend and bend the shaft as well.

Anyway the point is just remember these bikes do not have a ton of ground clearance, and make sure you tell your kid to pay very close attention to what is on the ground ahead of him.

The crf50 is a big step up in power. My son rode a pw last year, and i bought him a crf this year. since it's a four stroke, it has a lot more bottom end power, plus it has three gears. Since the clutch is automatic, it's a snap for kids to learn. After spending time with him riding the crf, i just can't imagine a hill that he couldn't climb in first gear!

Thanks for all of the input!

Ground clearance is definitely an issue with all of these small bikes.

it can definately handle the trails better... just make sure you get a skidplate for it... that 60 bucks will save your alot of hassle when you poke a whole in the bottom of your motor. i didn't have a skidplate and it only took me about an hour until i had a hole in my case.. replacing a case half isn't something i wanted to do in my spare time.

Yes my 8 yr old son was afraid of some hills at Carnige California, I got on the stock 50 at 165lbs and rode up the hill, then I came down it and asked if he still thought he woulden't make it! With starcross tires it will billygoat up anything.........get the meanest skid plate you can and just "teeter tawter" over the stupid stumps!