Sign in to follow this  

Search disabled** shim size question--it's an easy one i think

I finally decided to stop given my local parts jocky my hard earned money and decided to check/change my shims myself ,it was a great excuse to buy a new torque wrench---and a compressor, (my wife doesn't have to know compressors aren't required!)

Only the intakes seem to be off, the left is close, but the right is pretty much at zero.

My question is do I go by the number printed on the shim, 1.88 or what i measured it as 1.86 with a "snap on" digital caliper? Or is it kinda a wash since it's so close?

This site is always a great source of info. Again the search feature is disabled, I appreciate your time.

-tyson

I'd go with measured value (if you have confidence). Ultimately, your feeler gauge will tell the tale when you get everything installed. But it might be a moot point. If either intake clearance has gone to zero and the bike has some hours on it (not just break-in movement), it's time to replace more than shims; and you probably won't end up with the same shims you started with. I'll say the whole mess, in case you haven't read it before:

If you keep changing shims each time the valve clearance goes to zero, eventually the valve will fail costing you lot's of $$$. At a minimum, you probably need to replace the valve seats, valves, springs, guides and seals. You may be able to touch up the existing seats if they're not beat too badly. In the end, it may be more effective to replace the entire head with an '06 R head (new heads come with guides and seats installed). Lot's of choices on valves and springs; check with an experienced tuner (like RHC) regarding the best choice for your application. I went with all OEM parts on my last top end, but I may change it up next time :thumbsup: .

Skip---I appreciate the quick response. The bikes got about 60'ish hours on it (and this is where I either get yelled at or called a liar) the valves have never been adjusted. I bought the bike new and just kept up with the oil/tranny and air filter changes. I figured it's due for a head refresh and don't mind buying a new head. I've put so little money in this bike that if it costs me a few hundred to keep it running, it's cheaper then buying a new one.

I'm not the mechanical type, and during this whole process the only problem I bumped into is when aligning the cam gear and the index mark, I seem to have 2 index marks (really close together) and when I seem line up either one, the marks on the cam-gear are a bit off---no alot..just a bit.

My local shop does a straight across trade on shims so I figured if I got a few more hours out of this head (while I tried to convince my wife you can't replace a head with out having it ported and polished---duh) then i'm not really out much. Of course this whole theory goes to shit if I tap the piston or something crazy happen. But I've got great credit worse case scenario, and my dealer has '07's in stock.

Thank you all for ur help.

-tyson

(while I tried to convince my wife you can't replace a head with out having it ported and polished---duh)
Sounds like a plan :thumbsup: .