Sign in to follow this  

TTR or WR

My friend has a TTr 125 and he wants a bigger bike. He is a serious trail rider and was looking at the either the TTr250 or the WR250. What are the pros and cons of each bike, and what would be better for him? BTW both of the bikes are 04's I believe.

The WR250F is much more responsive and I do believe lighter. You can hot rod it so its like a YZ. Personnally, being a big trail rider myself, I took a YZ and made it into a trail bike (easier than taking a WR and trying to make it perform like a YZ). The TTR's are old school trail bikes, the WR's are newer technology...also more $$ and more to work to maintain.

If he is a serious trail rider I would suggest the WR.

I have a TTR 250, though I love the bike, I would go up to the WR if I was doing serious riding. I mainly ride with my wife and seven year old son. I don't get to bust loose very often so the TTR is great for me.

I have an 04 TT-R250 and an 06 WR250F. I rode both of them stock when I first got them new. The TTR's power starts down low and is smooth going up in rpm. The WR needs to rev a bit higher before the power hits, and when it does you can feel it. But because the WR still had the stock throttle stop, etc., it was very comparable to the TTR in the power department (I say this loosely).

Here's what I (180lb rider for woods only) found...

1. Suspension is much tighter on the WR.

I'm 2 clicks above soft for rebound/compression on the WR. I'm at the max hard on the TTR. The rear doesn't matter since there's enough adjustment on both bikes.

2. Tighter turning angle and shorter wheelbase on TTR.

I really like the TTR when it comes to tight twisty single track trails. Or when I need to turn around on a tight trail, the TTR is great for this. The upside down forks on the WR really decreases the turning angle because the fat tubes are up top.

The above two are the major ones that I can think of. The WR has the narrow/hard seat and the TTR has the wide/soft. I don't find either much of a hindrance in riding.

The WR is less top heavy than the TTR, but the weight is definitely there when picking up any (less so on the WR). Again, not much of a difference in weight for me to complain.

Another point are the costs involved. The TTR is cheaper to maintain and use. Premium (91) for the WR and regular (85) for the TTR. I also don't have radiators to bend/break on the TTR, which I think is a benefit.

My TTR is still stock. I just remove the AIS, rejetted, and did the free mods on the WR. Compared to the TTR, the WR is just plain violent (to me) now. Power is controllable, but it just doesn't come on as smooth as the TTR.

Which bike would I recommend to your friend? The WR. :thumbsup:

I'm still keeping the TTR because it's just a different bike on the trails.

How do the two bikes compare when it comes to maintenance? For example, how far can you go between oil changes for each one? I realize that the WR will probably have to be maintained more often, but I'm curious if the maintenance is similar to the MX bikes.

Also, what do you think these bike would be like on the street? I was thinking of getting a TTR or WR 250, and was considering putting a dual-sport kit on it. I would trailer the bike up to the areas I ride, but there are sometimes short stretches of highway (55mph) in between sections. Can either of these bikes do that kind of speed, even if only for a few miles?

They would both handle highway riding equally well, the WR would require more maintenance as with power and performance comes upkeep. Sherpahead has a WR250F plated and loves it. PM him, he'll most likely gladly share his knowledge of the WR on road.

TTR's make great beginner and "extra" bikes because they're inexpensive and durable. If your friend is as serious as you say I'd get the WR. The suspension alone is worth the extra $$ and I can't believe anybody could ride both and not choose the WR unless money was a factor.

I have a ttr 125e and I want a yz 85 five because I am a serious rider to so I say he gets the wr 250 because it is more of an enduro bike

...snip...

That is a great write up - after the mods how does the power compare in the lower rpms? Say 1500 to 4000?

Seems like a TTR250 is kinda like a crf230 with a slightly better suspension, about right?

A serious trailrider is not the same as a serious enduro racer. If you are going to ride trails, the TTR is fine. If you are going to race, then the WR.

The TTR is heavier, has a smoother powerband, and has softer suspension. If you intend to go really fast in the rough stuff, then the WR, otherwise the TTR is a good bike.

As for comparison to CRF230, I have ridden a lot of CR230Fs including ones that have been heavily modified (CR125 forks, etc). The CRF230 is a mini-bike. It is comparable to the TTR230 not the TTR250. The Honda has a low seat height due to very little suspension travel. It says it has 9.5 inches of fork travel but put an adult on it and see that the front suspension will sag about 3 inches right off the bat. Skinny 37mm fork tubes. The rear shock has no adjustments other than spring. The rear brake is a drum brake. 26mm carb. 238 pounds.

Compare that to the TTR250 with 11 inches front and rear. Preload adjustment on both. 43mm forks. Front and rear disc brakes. 30mm carb. 249 lbs.

Uncorked, no comparison at all.

Amen DKWrider, I hear so many people trying to compare the CRF 230 to a TTR 250. Because Honda doesn't make a similar bike. They don't understand the TTR 250 is a full size bike. I feel the CRF is just too small for the average man. That's why I bought the TTR 250 it is a great Full Size Trail Bike. Nobody makes a bike like that anymore. It's a shame.

Amen DKWrider, I hear so many people trying to compare the CRF 230 to a TTR 250. Because Honda doesn't make a similar bike. They don't understand the TTR 250 is a full size bike.

I asked because my son has a crf230 but I have never seen a TTR250. I know nothing about TTR250's.

I asked because my son has a crf230 but I have never seen a TTR250. I know nothing about TTR250's.

Its basically a blue XR 250 with a DOHC engine and electric start

Not easy to find one. My local dealer told me last year that Yamaha didn't make a 250 TTR only the 230.

It is a simple machine in the old mold of the XR250, but with electric start. Great all around bike.

I have 4 friends (adults) with CRF230s. I rode theirs before settling on the TTR 250. I just couldn't handle riding a mini bike.

That is a great write up - after the mods how does the power compare in the lower rpms? Say 1500 to 4000?

Seems like a TTR250 is kinda like a crf230 with a slightly better suspension, about right?

CRF230 = TTR230

CRF250x > TTR250

WR250 > TTR250

Basic points, WR is better performance all around, slightly harder to tame but not difficult.

TTR's are the kings of easy maintenance. No other bike is easier to maintain from any manufacturer.

The TTR is cheaper and less breaks when you crash and what does break is cheaper to repair.

The TTR is air cooled while the WR is liquid cooled.

Those are the main points.

Actually I am at a bit of a disadvantage here because I am newish to the sport and don't know much about the XR250 ether... but it sounds like:

TT250 has an "OK" suspension, dead reliable, easy to maintain, estart, pretty close to a full size bike... Why did they quit making them? THAT is the bike I wanted! Actually I got the TE250 instead so can't complain because I really like the license plate...

Q - is the torque curve similar in shape to the crf230s i.e. is there slightly more 'snap' as some call it at the lower rpms? Shape is the key word here, I know they are not race bikes.

Q - is the torque curve similar in shape to the crf230s i.e. is there slightly more 'snap' as some call it at the lower rpms? Shape is the key word here, I know they are not race bikes.

The 230s run out of breath faster than the 250s. They are both tractors on the lowend though, The 250s have a slightly higher top speed

Actually I am at a bit of a disadvantage here because I am newish to the sport and don't know much about the XR250 ether... but it sounds like:

TT250 has an "OK" suspension, dead reliable, easy to maintain, estart, pretty close to a full size bike... Why did they quit making them? THAT is the bike I wanted! Actually I got the TE250 instead so can't complain because I really like the license plate...

The TTR 230/225 and crf 230 max revs at about 9000.

The TTR 250 I think revs to about 10000+?

The WR, YZ, CRF CRFx 250's all rev somewhere upto 13000+?

The low end power is almost the same, but from the midrange on the the higher reving bikes produce more HP.

If you got a Husqvarna TE250 thats esentially a WR250 or CRF250x, same class of bike.

Enjoy it!

after the mods how does the power compare in the lower rpms? Say 1500 to 4000?

The power is about the same, but then again I can't really tell you because I did the mods that same time I shortened the throttle stop. Maybe if I just did the throttle stop before doing all the other mods I could tell you.

Before the mods, traversing a single track hill, my throttle was pinned on the WR and I had to feather the clutch a lot. It was very similar, but not as smooth as the TTR250 in power delivery.

After mods on the same hill, the midrange would come on hard around the 5k to 10k range and I had to feather the clutch to prevent it from wheelying too much. The power hit is a tremendous difference to the TTR250 though.

I love the powerband on my TTR250. Smooth but enough snap when I want it. In fact I love everything about my TTR250 except for the weight (only when I have to pick it up).

A lot more snap than a CRF230. I have an XR200 as well. CRF230 power feels just like my XR200. Smoth, no surprises. The TTR250 uncorked revs faster than a CRF230 and has a harder hit, but the powerband is smooth and tractable. A lot easier to use the throttle to ride rather than just rolling it on and off on the CRF.