Anyone else anal about oil?

Yes, I probably could've titled this question better but... ?

I am completely anal about changing my oil, both sides. I change both and the filter after EVERY ride (usually 3 hours of hard, fast trail riding). It gets a little expensive but I like the "piece of mind".

So, anyone else out there do this? Or do you think I'm wasting my money/time?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BV Beard is right, you can't change the stuff enough. Just buy it by the case and keep plenty of filters on hand.

I am using Amsoil 0W40 in both sides. It definitely shifts better than using the Honda gold bottle stuff. When I run out of Amsoil maybe I'll switch to Rotella.

You can't change it enough. I switched to Rotella just so I could afford to change the oil every ride. ?

Yeah, I'd rather use medium grade oil and filter and change it more than high grade stuff and change it less often.

That's why I use those Hiflofiltro filter from Cyclegear. I can't believe what the dealer charges for the OEM filters: $9.95.

Even with these cheaper filters, I'm thinking that I'm a candidate for a SS filter. As often as I'm changing, I would "pay off" an SS filter in 7-12 rides. Do you guys like the SS filters (I'll do a search as I'm sure this one's been talked about...)?

SS and CRD stainless filters are excellent. I run the CRD (it was slightly cheaper) and have never had a problem. It gets cleaned in gasoline every time I change oil (which is every third ride or one raceday), and I've already saved money on oil filters. ?:ride::applause:

Thanks to all for the input...I'm going SS.

I guess I'll be the one to say you're wasting your money. You can safely cut your oil changing and filter changing costs in half. Regular oil changes are important but over doing them is not a benefit. Changing your oil too often may be best for peace of mind but is not necessary.

You can't change it enough. I switched to Rotella just so I could afford to change the oil every ride. ?

I used to run hp4m on the motor side and honda red bottle on the tranny. The engine side would change color and look worn out after 1-2 rides. Rotella t still looks great after 4 rides, its just as clean and thick as it is new. I still change my oil every few hours but this rotella t seems to be the shiznit. Oh and the clutch feel is 100% better then that 80-85 honda stuff. There is a rotella t 80-85 tranny oil also for 3 bucks.